Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Buena Vista native serves aboard U.S. Navy floating airport in Japan

By Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Jerry Jimenez, Navy Office of Community Outreach

YOKOSUKA, Japan. - Seaman Mykeveon Blackshear, a native of Buena Vista, Georgia, serves in Japan aboard the self-contained mobile airport and the U.S. Navy’s only forward-deployed aircraft carrier, USS Ronald Reagan.

Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Bryan Niegel

Equipped with a full flight deck and more than 60 aircraft including attack fighter jets and helicopters, aircraft carriers are one of the largest warships in the world.

Blackshear graduated from Marion County Middle High School in 2021.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Buena Vista.

“Growing up, I learned to always chase my dreams and that no matter what I go through, I always have to push for what I want,” said Blackshear. "I also learned to never get side-tracked by negativity."

Blackshear joined the Navy two years ago.

“I joined the Navy to create a better life for me and my family, and to be a great role model for my future wife and our beautiful baby girl,” said Blackshear.

Aircraft carriers are the centerpiece of America’s Naval forces. For more than 100 years, they have projected power, sustained sea control, bolstered deterrence, provided humanitarian assistance and disaster relief, and maintained enduring commitments worldwide.

According to Navy officials, aircraft carriers are versatile and have unique mission capabilities that make them a more strategic asset for the Navy than fixed-site bases. They are often the first response in a global crisis because of their ability to operate freely in international waters anywhere on the world’s oceans. In addition, no other weapon system can deploy and operate forward with a full-sized aircraft carrier’s speed, endurance, agility and combat capability of its air wing.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Blackshear serves in Japan as part of the forward-deployed naval forces. These naval forces operate with allies and partners to preserve a free and open Indo-Pacific region. Service members in this region are part of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which has the largest area of responsibility in the world.

“We will earn and reinforce the trust and confidence of the American people every day,” said Adm. Lisa Franchetti, chief of naval operations. “Together we will deliver the Navy the nation needs.”

Blackshear has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of graduating boot camp,” said Blackshear. "It made me realize that as long as I pushed and kept my mind on a goal, I could do anything.”

Blackshear can take pride in serving America through military service.

“Serving in the Navy is a big accomplishment for me,” said Blackshear. "I know what struggling is. One of the biggest things I wanted to do was to give back to my community and be a living testimony of accomplishing your goals in life."

Blackshear is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I would like to thank my parents and my in-laws for believing in me and pushing me,” added Blackshear. "I would also thank my school system because they always taught us to maintain a positive mindset and to go out and explore; to not get stuck in one spot. I would also like to thank my pastor and my church for their prayers and for reaching out to me and making sure I was OK.”