YOKOSUKA, Japan - Petty Officer 2nd Class Israel Ventura, a native of Dallas, Texas, serves at the U.S. Navy Medical Readiness Training Command hospital in Yokosuka, Japan.
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Bryan Niegel |
Ventura graduated from Skyline High School in 2010, where he said he started developing the skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy.
“I learned to trust my gut and go with my feelings,” said Ventura. “I've been able to continue trusting my instincts since I've been serving. There are times when you're making decisions that need to be made immediately, that might affect a lot of people. I'm not second-guessing myself, and it works out most of the time. I'd doubt myself much more when I was younger.”
Ventura joined the Navy 13 years ago. Today, Ventura serves as a hospital corpsman.
“I joined to support my new family,” said Ventura. ”I knew that the job I had wasn't going to cut it.”
Ventura serves in Japan as part of the Forward Deployed Naval Forces. These naval forces operate with allies and partners to preserve a free and open Indo-Pacific region. Most sailors in this region are part of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which has the largest area of responsibility in the world.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
“We will earn and reinforce the trust and confidence of the American people every day,” said Adm. Lisa Franchetti, chief of naval operations. “Together we will deliver the Navy the nation needs.”
Ventura has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I'm proud to have saved lives in Afghanistan,” said Ventura. “It was my first deployment and I was receiving patients coming from firefights. They came to our hospital for emergency care and left alive and breathing. It was very humbling and felt like all my training up to that point meant something.”
Ventura can take pride in serving America through military service.
“As a health care professional, we're in the business of serving people,” said Ventura. “I'm proud to be a provider of medical care. It’s a job you have to want to do. If you don't have the selflessness required, it would be very difficult.”
Ventura is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I'd have to thank my wife and oldest daughter,” added Ventura. “They were there at the beginning. They were supportive of me joining. My mother and sister as well. They were nervous, but they supported me regardless.”
