Monday, April 22, 2024

Eunice native serves with U.S. Navy in Japan

By Navy Office of Community Outreach

YOKOSUKA, Japan - Chief Petty Officer Jeremiah Miller, a native of Eunice, Louisiana, serves at the U.S. Navy Medical Readiness Training Command hospital in Yokosuka, Japan.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Bryan Niegel

Miller graduated from Eunice High School in 2007. He said some of the skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Eunice.

“My dad was my foundation for everything I've tried to become in my adult life,” said Miller. “He was a chief, and now I'm one, too.”

Miller joined the Navy 16 years ago. Today, he serves as a hospital corpsman.

“I got kind of bored in Eunice and I didn't feel like I was cut out for college,” said Miller. “I joined the Navy because my dad served for 22 years and I thought it looked good.”

Miller serves in Japan as part of the Forward Deployed Naval Forces. These naval forces operate with allies and partners to preserve a free and open Indo-Pacific region. Most sailors in this region are part of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which has the largest area of responsibility in the world.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

“We will earn and reinforce the trust and confidence of the American people every day,” said Adm. Lisa Franchetti, chief of naval operations. “Together we will deliver the Navy the nation needs.”

Miller has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I'm proudest of becoming a Navy chief,” said Miller. “It's one of those things that's never given, only earned. It took a lot of hard work and dedication. There were times I wanted to give up and get out, but I stuck with it and I'm still here.”

Miller can take pride in serving America through military service.

“To me, service is sacrifice,” said Miller. “It's doing something that you don't expect a return on. You're simply doing it for the greater good.”

Miller is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I'd like to thank my mom and my brothers,” added Miller. “They're always there. They're my groundwork. My father passed away a few years ago and it was tough, but having them there to push me along, even when I don't want to keep going, has been super important for me.”