NAVAL AIR FACILITY ATSUGI, Japan - Petty Officer 3rd Class Alexandra Lamas, a native of Los Angeles, California, serves in the U.S. Navy as a member of a helicopter squadron forward deployed to Japan.
Lamas graduated from Gardena High School in 2010.
The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Los Angeles.
“When you are from Los Angeles you need to hustle to stand out and make things happen,” said Lamas. “That holds true in the Navy. If you want to make a name for yourself and make your command proud you need to work hard.”
Lamas joined the Navy four years ago. Today, Lamas serves as a logistics specialist.
Lamas joined the Navy four years ago. Today, Lamas serves as a logistics specialist.
“I joined the Navy to get out of my hometown, see the world, and serve my world,” said Lamas. “I had friends in the Navy and they highlighted all of the opportunities that were available and they seemed pretty good to me.”
Members of Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron 51 fly and maintain helicopters for the U.S. Navy. Navy helicopters are able to perform many different missions. Some of the most common operations include search and rescue, air assaults, medical evacuations, supply transport and hunting submarines.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Lamas in Japan as part of the forward-deployed naval forces. These naval forces operate with allies and partners to preserve a free and open Indo-Pacific region. Service members in this region are part of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which has the largest area of responsibility in the world.
“We will earn and reinforce the trust and confidence of the American people every day,” said Adm. Lisa Franchetti, chief of naval operations. “Together we will deliver the Navy the nation needs.”
Lamas has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
Lamas in Japan as part of the forward-deployed naval forces. These naval forces operate with allies and partners to preserve a free and open Indo-Pacific region. Service members in this region are part of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which has the largest area of responsibility in the world.
“We will earn and reinforce the trust and confidence of the American people every day,” said Adm. Lisa Franchetti, chief of naval operations. “Together we will deliver the Navy the nation needs.”
Lamas has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud to say that I have made it this far,” said Lamas. “I have traveled the world, met my husband, and set myself up for success in the future.”
Lamas can take pride in serving America through military service.
“Serving in the Navy means sacrifice for the betterment of others,” said Lamas. “The Navy gives me a purpose and makes me feel pride every day knowing I am helping others.”
Lamas is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I would like to thank my brother, Rudy, for always being there for me,” added Lamas. “My parents, although hesitant at first, have been my biggest supporters and I work hard every day to make them proud.”
Lamas is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I would like to thank my brother, Rudy, for always being there for me,” added Lamas. “My parents, although hesitant at first, have been my biggest supporters and I work hard every day to make them proud.”
