Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Simi Valley native serves with U.S. Navy in Japan

By Navy Office of Community Outreach

YOKOSUKA, Japan – Lt. Jonathan Wilson, a native of Simi Valley, California, serves at the U.S. Navy Medical Readiness Training Command hospital in Yokosuka, Japan.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Bryan Niegel


Wilson earned his doctorate from the University of Kansas in 2015.

“I worked for a hospital before joining,” said Wilson. "I was able to perfect the skills I learned through my graduate program and start a business in Missouri. I brought all that with me into the Navy and it’s helped make me a more effective leader."

Wilson joined the Navy four years ago. Today, Wilson is taking care of the military as an audiologist.

“I wanted to serve our service members,” said Wilson. ”I wanted to take the skills that I learned and apply that to help sailors battle against hearing and balance loss.”

Wilson serves in Japan as part of the Forward Deployed Naval Forces. These naval forces operate with allies and partners to preserve a free and open Indo-Pacific region. Most sailors in this region are part of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which has the largest area of responsibility in the world.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

“We will earn and reinforce the trust and confidence of the American people every day,” said Adm. Lisa Franchetti, chief of naval operations. “Together we will deliver the Navy the nation needs.”

Wilson has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I'm most proud of the chance to do outreach,” said Wilson. “Hearing loss is the number one issue within the Veterans Administration. Our number one job here is to try to mitigate those impacts and bring the issue to a more manageable level.”

Wilson can take pride in serving America through military service.

“Service is putting the needs of others before your own,” said Wilson. “I'm here to help those in need of help, and as an officer, it's my duty to help protect our country and its freedoms.”

Wilson is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I'd like to thank my Eagle Scout leaders, school counselors and all the family and friends that have supported me along the way,” added Wilson.