By Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Jerry Jimenez, Navy Office of Community Outreach
NAVAL AIR FACILITY ATSUGI, JAPAN. - Petty Officer 3rd Class Jacob Gateman, a native of Vashon Island, Washington, serves in the U.S. Navy as a member of a helicopter squadron forward deployed to Japan.
Gateman graduated from Vashon Island High School in 2012.
The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Vashon Island.
“My hometown is a very tight-knit community and is a very politically active place so I think the biggest thing I took away was that if you believe in something go and follow that passion,” said Gateman. "I had a lot of mentors growing up who lived their life that way."
Gateman joined the Navy four years ago. Today, Gateman serves as a naval aircrewman.
“I graduated from the University of San Francisco with a degree in philosophy and then worked in financial technology in Seattle,” said Gateman. "However, I always wanted to serve in the military and do my part to protect our country and democracy and the Navy afforded me that opportunity."
Members of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 12 fly and maintain helicopters for the U.S. Navy. Navy helicopters are able to perform many different missions. Some of the most common operations include search and rescue, air assaults, medical evacuations, supply transport and hunting submarines.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Gateman serves in Japan as part of the forward-deployed naval forces. These naval forces operate with allies and partners to preserve a free and open Indo-Pacific region. Service members in this region are part of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which has the largest area of responsibility in the world.
“We will earn and reinforce the trust and confidence of the American people every day,” said Adm. Lisa Franchetti, chief of naval operations. “Together we will deliver the Navy the nation needs.”
Gateman has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of earning my aircrew wings,” said Gateman. "It's the culmination of a year and a half of training and hard work."
Gateman can take pride in serving America through military service.
“Few people in my generation choose to serve,” said Gateman. “I felt it was my responsibility to serve. Serving in the Navy also provides me the opportunity to grow as a person."
Gateman is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I would like to thank one of my college professors, Professor Sundstrom,” added Gateman. “He was prior-service Army and was a huge advocate for me joining the military. I would also like to thank my former coworker and supervisor, Anna Ketz. She was a huge supporter of me leaving the company to go do this. She basically made it a very easy and transparent process for me and, I’m grateful for her support."
The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Vashon Island.
“My hometown is a very tight-knit community and is a very politically active place so I think the biggest thing I took away was that if you believe in something go and follow that passion,” said Gateman. "I had a lot of mentors growing up who lived their life that way."
Gateman joined the Navy four years ago. Today, Gateman serves as a naval aircrewman.
“I graduated from the University of San Francisco with a degree in philosophy and then worked in financial technology in Seattle,” said Gateman. "However, I always wanted to serve in the military and do my part to protect our country and democracy and the Navy afforded me that opportunity."
Members of Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron (HSC) 12 fly and maintain helicopters for the U.S. Navy. Navy helicopters are able to perform many different missions. Some of the most common operations include search and rescue, air assaults, medical evacuations, supply transport and hunting submarines.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Gateman serves in Japan as part of the forward-deployed naval forces. These naval forces operate with allies and partners to preserve a free and open Indo-Pacific region. Service members in this region are part of the U.S. Pacific Fleet, which has the largest area of responsibility in the world.
“We will earn and reinforce the trust and confidence of the American people every day,” said Adm. Lisa Franchetti, chief of naval operations. “Together we will deliver the Navy the nation needs.”
Gateman has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of earning my aircrew wings,” said Gateman. "It's the culmination of a year and a half of training and hard work."
Gateman can take pride in serving America through military service.
“Few people in my generation choose to serve,” said Gateman. “I felt it was my responsibility to serve. Serving in the Navy also provides me the opportunity to grow as a person."
Gateman is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I would like to thank one of my college professors, Professor Sundstrom,” added Gateman. “He was prior-service Army and was a huge advocate for me joining the military. I would also like to thank my former coworker and supervisor, Anna Ketz. She was a huge supporter of me leaving the company to go do this. She basically made it a very easy and transparent process for me and, I’m grateful for her support."
