PEARL HARBOR, Hawaii - Airman Luis Rodriguez Garcia, a native of Los Lunas, New Mexico, serves aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt, a U.S. Navy warship participating in the biennial Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise in and around the Hawaiian Islands.
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Patricia Elkins, Navy Office of Community Outreach |
Rodriguez Garcia graduated from Los Lunas High School in 2025 and joined the Navy one year ago.
“I joined the Navy to help my mom and dad with getting her citizenship,” Rodriguez Garcia said. “I also really didn't have much to do with my life after high school. So, I wanted to help my parents out, build a career, and be an example for my younger sisters. I am the first in my entire family to join the military.”
The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Los Lunas.
“I learned to work under pressure from my old job and how to overcome tough situations,” Rodriguez Garcia said. “Working underway on the ship can be fast-paced and high-pressure. Having that experience from my previous job helps me succeed in the Navy. My parents also taught me the importance of respecting others. In the Navy, respecting leadership and higher-ups is crucial for success.”
Today, Rodriguez Garcia serves as an aviation ordnanceman.
As the world’s largest international maritime exercise, 31 nations, approximately 40 surface ships, five submarines, 14 national land forces, over 140 aircraft and more than 25,000 personnel will participate in RIMPAC 2026. This exercise provides a unique training opportunity that helps participants foster and sustain cooperative relationships that are critical to ensuring safety at sea and security on the world’s oceans. RIMPAC 2026 marks the 30th exercise in a series that began in 1971.
The theme of RIMPAC 2026 is “Partners: Integrated and Prepared.” The participating nations and forces exercise a wide range of capabilities and demonstrate the inherent flexibility of maritime forces. These capabilities range from disaster relief and maritime security operations to sea control and complex warfighting. The relevant, realistic training program includes gunnery, missile, anti-submarine and air defense exercises, as well as amphibious, counter-piracy, mine clearance operations, explosive ordnance disposal and diving and salvage operations.
It is fitting that the world's premier maritime exercise occurs as the United States celebrates its 250th anniversary. For 250 years, the United States has built relationships with international partners based on trust, cooperation, and shared values. RIMPAC is where that trust is put into practice, strengthening the people-to-people relationships that are the bedrock of all the nations’ collective security.
Rodriguez Garcia plays an important role in the exercise.
“This is my first time in Hawaii, ” Rodriguez Garcia said “I never thought I would be here, but I like it. There are a lot of nice people, though. I enjoy seeing all the other ships and sailors from different countries’ navies come together.”
Rodriguez Garcia serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation's prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means I am showing that I care about my country and would die for it,” Rodriguez Garcia said. “It also shows that I am willing to give back to our nation.”
Rodriguez Garcia is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my mom, Evelia Garcia, for all the times she's protected me,” Rodriguez Garcia added. “She raised my siblings and me by herself, and she made so many sacrifices for us. For instance, she would give up her own time to make sure we were fed. She fought for a better life for us, and I am so grateful for all the sacrifices she made.”
Hosted by Commander, U.S. Pacific Fleet, RIMPAC 2026 will be led by Commander, U.S. 3rd Fleet, Rear Adm. Richard Meyer, who will serve as Combined Task Force (CTF) commander. Chile will fill the role of deputy commander of the CTF, and Japan will fill the role of vice commander. The Republic of Korea will command the maritime component, and Canada will command the air component.
During RIMPAC, a network of capable, adaptive partners train and operate together in order to strengthen their collective forces and promote a free and open Indo-Pacific. RIMPAC 2026 contributes to the increased interoperability, resiliency and agility needed by the Joint and Combined Force to deter and defeat aggression by major powers across all domains and levels of conflict.
More information about RIMPAC is available here: https://www.cpf.navy.mil/RIMPAC/
