LEMOORE, Calif. - Every sailor’s story of naval service is unique. For Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin Tyler, this story has ties to Parker, Colorado, where skills and values learned there are foundational to success in the Navy.
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Mitch Meppelink |
“I learned the value of a strong work ethic from the jobs I had prior to joining the Navy,” Tyler said. “I joined at 22, so I had some work experience. I learned from the bosses I had at those jobs. Good and bad, they taught me what leadership looks like, and what to do and what not to do. It’s helped me a ton in the Navy, because sometimes, when people join the military right after high school, they have a hard time taking on leadership positions and they have to learn through trial by fire. Once I was in those leadership roles, I could hit the ground running. I didn’t have to work up to it.”
Tyler graduated from Eaglecrest High School in 2014.
Tyler joined the Navy eight years ago.
“I wanted to join the military for as far back as I could remember,” Tyler said. “My mom was in the Navy, and my dad was in the Air Force, where he worked on F-16s. In the Navy, I’m a combination of both of those things. I work on the F/A-18 now.”
Today, Tyler serves as an aviation structural mechanic (safety equipment) and is an instructor at the Center for Naval Aviation Technical Training Unit Lemoore onboard Naval Air Station (NAS) Lemoore.
NAS Lemoore is home to Commander Strike Fighter Wing Pacific and Commander Joint Strike Fighter Wing. More than half of the Navy’s F/A-18E/F Super Hornet aircraft reside here, and it is the only Navy installation to house the F-35C Lightning II.
Carrier strike groups and the embarked aviation squadrons are the cornerstone of U.S. naval power projection and sea power. They can quickly maneuver thousands of miles with the world’s most capable warships and top-notch sailors, remaining on station in areas of interest without relying on land bases or overflight agreements. U.S. Navy aircraft carriers are the most adaptable, lethal and survivable airfields in the world and their presence serves as the most credible commitment to our allies and partners.
Naval aviation provides the Navy and our nation with a flexible, adaptable, and lethal force to preserve peace, respond in crises and win decisively in combat. The U.S. Navy maintains and operates more than 2,000 aircraft to fulfill various mission sets in order to preserve the American way of life and ensure freedom, security and prosperity.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Tyler has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I’m proud of the fact that I have the breadth of experience that I do and that I can pass it on to the junior sailors we have here at the schoolhouse,” Tyler said. “I want to put them in a better position than I was in when I came through here.”
Tyler serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
“For me, serving in the Navy means just being held to a higher standard than the general population,” Tyler said. “Being in any branch of service is a lot of responsibility, and there’s some public scrutiny that comes with it. The public is trusting you to do your job to the best of your ability and make the right decisions at the right times. We carry that with us in all the jobs we do.”
Tyler is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“If I’ve ever had anything good, all glory goes to God,” Tyler said. “I wouldn’t have the family I’ve been provided with or all the opportunities I’ve been provided without God and the Holy Spirit guiding me through. I want to thank my family for always being supportive. I’m grateful for my fiancee, who helps me, supports me and motivates me to be better and is always there for me.”
