Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Tucson native finds purpose through naval service

By Alexzander Johnson, NAVSUP Fleet Logistics Center Yokosuka Public Affairs

YOKOSUKA, Japan — Growing up in Tucson, Arizona, Engineman 2nd Class Nathen Creighton learned that hard work wasn’t something you talked about—it was something you lived every day. Watching his father spend long days working outdoors under the Arizona sun instilled a work ethic that continues to shape his Navy career today.
U.S. Navy photo by Alexzander Johnson

Now serving with Naval Supply Systems Command (NAVSUP) Fleet Logistics Center (FLC) Yokosuka, Creighton has spent the past six years supporting the Navy’s mission while developing technical skills he never imagined he would possess as a young man.

Creighton joined the Navy at 22 after realizing he wanted more from life than the path he was following.

“I had always wanted to be in the military since I was a little kid and always looked up to my grandfather, who served in the Navy during Vietnam,” Creighton said. “I tried making my way as a civilian after high school, but I didn’t feel fulfilled in the jobs I had. I wanted to be part of a team, make a difference and build a successful future.”

After taking an honest look at where his life was headed, Creighton made the decision to visit a Navy recruiting office. Three months later, he was standing on the grinder at Recruit Training Command Great Lakes, Illinois, beginning the next chapter of his life.

A 2015 graduate of Santa Rita High School, Creighton credits much of his determination to his father.

Growing up in southern Arizona meant long summers helping his father work outside on rooftops and construction projects under intense desert heat.

“My dad has always worked outside,” Creighton said. “No matter how hard it was, he got up every day and did what he had to do to provide for our family. Whenever work gets difficult or I feel like giving up, I think about him and keep moving forward.”

Those lessons carried into his Navy career, where Creighton transformed from a young man with limited technical experience into an Engineman responsible for maintaining massive diesel engines that power Navy ships.

“I’m proud of everything I’ve accomplished in the Navy,” Creighton said. “I went from not having many technical skills to working on diesel engines the size of a school bus.”

Among his proudest accomplishments is supporting the training cycle aboard USS John P. Murtha during preparations for NASA’s Artemis recovery missions.

Being selected to support such a high-profile mission reinforced the confidence his leadership placed in him and highlighted the importance of every sailor’s role in mission success.

For Creighton, serving in the Navy represents something much larger than a career.

He comes from a family with a long history of military service and considers it an honor to continue that tradition.

“Serving in the Navy means a lot to me,” Creighton said. “Every opportunity I’ve ever had has been because of this country. I’m proud to give back and help keep the American dream alive. It also feels good to be part of something larger than yourself.”

Creighton said serving alongside fellow sailors every day reminds him that military service is built on teamwork, trust and commitment.

Although his Navy career has taken him thousands of miles from Arizona, he says the encouragement from family and friends has remained constant throughout every assignment.

He thanked his grandparents, Grandma and Grandpa Hackenbracht, Grandma Cindy, his father and stepmother, Dominic and Dora, his brother, Stephen, his wife, Kaylee, Chris, Grandma Maggie, Ashley and Joey, and the many friends who supported him throughout his journey.

“I wouldn’t be half the man I am today without their support,” Creighton said.

He also offered a heartfelt tribute to his younger brother, Eric.

“My only wish is that my younger brother Eric were here to see how far I’ve come,” Creighton said. “He is forever in our hearts.”

Looking back on the decision that changed his life, Creighton hopes young people from his hometown understand that success often begins with taking a chance.

“The Navy gave me purpose, skills, lifelong friendships and opportunities I never imagined,” he said. “Sometimes taking that first step into the unknown can completely change your future.”

NAVSUP FLC Yokosuka is the Western Pacific's largest U.S. Navy logistics command. From its headquarters near Truman Bay, about 26 miles (41 kilometers) south of Tokyo, the command oversees a network of more than 20 detachments and sites stretching from Misawa, Japan, to Stirling, Australia, and from Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean to Guam. Together, these locations provide logistics support to the Navy, Marine Corps and other Department of War and federal activities within the 7th Fleet area of operations.

Naval Supply Systems Command, headquartered in Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, employs more than 22,500 military and civilian personnel who provide supply, acquisition and logistics support to the Navy and joint forces worldwide.