Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Visalia sailor supports U.S. Navy mine warfare mission in Spain

By Ashley Craig, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MILLINGTON, Tenn. - Every sailor’s story of naval service is unique. For Petty Officer 1st Class Merrick Ziegenbein, this story began in Visalia, California, where skills and values learned there would be foundational to success in the Navy.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class
 Johnathan Nye

“Visalia taught me to follow my heart and to pursue what I want in life, regardless of opinion or doubt,” Ziegenbein said. “That drive has led to an incredible and fulfilling Navy career so far.”

Ziegenbein graduated from Mount Whitney High School in 2015.

Inspired by a family member’s service, Ziegenbein joined the Navy 10 years ago.

“My grandfather, Dennis Ziegenbein, served as a boatswain’s mate second class in the Navy during Vietnam,” Ziegenbein said. “He was a proud veteran and was my home county’s Veterans Service Officer for 10 years. As my father figure, he was my main inspiration to join the Navy and to follow in his footsteps. I knew from a very young age that I was destined to join. Now, I’m charting my own path and continuing to serve this great nation.”

Today, Ziegenbein serves as a mineman assigned to Mine Countermeasures Group (MCMGRU) 6 on temporary duty with Commander, U.S. 6th Fleet Mine Countermeasures Detachment (MCM Det) Rota in Spain.

MCMGRU 6 provides U.S. 6th Fleet with command and control capabilities for all MCM operations in the U.S. European Command and U.S. Africa Command areas of responsibility, focusing on mine warfare readiness, strategic competition and NATO Alliance cooperation.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Ziegenbein has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“My proudest accomplishment is seeing the success and growth of my junior sailors,” Ziegenbein said. “Training and mentoring the next generation of warfighters is extremely rewarding.”

Ziegenbein serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy is everything to me,” Ziegenbein said. “Honoring the legacy of those who came before me while doing the job I always wanted speaks for itself.”

Ziegenbein is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“First, I’d like to thank my grandmother Sharon Ziegenbein,” Ziegenbein said. “Her steadfast support and everlasting love have gotten me through some of the hardest points in my life. I would not be here today without her. To my best friend, Christian Brown: Thank you for always being the brother I never had, not by blood but brother for life. And most importantly, I’d like to thank my wife, Ana: Through thick and thin, no matter what, you’ve been my rock. You came into my life when I needed you most, and I’ll never forget or take for granted the love you have given me. I love you, babe.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/