Friday, July 10, 2026

Winter Haven sailor supports U.S. Navy fighter jet mission

By Ashley Craig, Navy Office of Community Outreach

LEMOORE, Calif. - Every sailor’s story of naval service is unique. For Airman Chastin Reddick Jr., this story has ties to Winter Haven, Florida, where skills and values learned there are foundational to success in the Navy.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Mitch Meppelink

“Growing up, I learned to treat every interaction as an opportunity, to always understand the importance of time and to always try to find a solution,” Reddick said. “This has helped me in the Navy because I’m able to network and utilize the military community to accomplish my goals. Understanding the importance of time helps me make sure I’m managing my time to be an effective asset to whatever group I’m working with and not wasting anyone else’s time. I’m always trying to figure out a solution to any problem to benefit the team or group.”

Reddick graduated from Summerlin Military Academy in 2019.

Reddick joined the Navy one year ago.

“I joined the Navy to create an opportunity and to build structure and discipline in my life, while also allowing others the ability to do so with my time and service,” Reddick said. “My dad was in the Navy, his father was a Marine and his father was in the Navy. I’m fourth-generation military, and I want to be the first to commission.”

Today, Reddick serves as an aviation electronics technician assigned to the “Vigilantes” of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 151 onboard Naval Air Station (NAS) Lemoore.

NAS Lemoore is home to Commander Strike Fighter Wing Pacific and Commander Joint Strike Fighter Wing. More than half of the Navy’s F/A-18E/F Super Hornet aircraft reside here, and it is the only Navy installation to house the F-35C Lightning II.

Carrier strike groups and the embarked aviation squadrons are the cornerstone of U.S. naval power projection and sea power. They can quickly maneuver thousands of miles with the world’s most capable warships and top-notch sailors, remaining on station in areas of interest without relying on land bases or overflight agreements. U.S. Navy aircraft carriers are the most adaptable, lethal and survivable airfields in the world and their presence serves as the most credible commitment to our allies and partners.

Naval aviation provides the Navy and our nation with a flexible, adaptable, and lethal force to preserve peace, respond in crises and win decisively in combat. The U.S. Navy maintains and operates more than 2,000 aircraft to fulfill various mission sets in order to preserve the American way of life and ensure freedom, security and prosperity.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Reddick has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I’m most proud of graduating at the top of my class for ‘C’ school,” Reddick said. “I worked very hard to take each step and each moment in class to benefit not only myself but the squadron I’ll be attached to. I wanted to make sure I’m the most capable I can be so I can help amongst my peers.”

Reddick serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/

“For me, serving in the Navy means giving others alongside myself the opportunity and space to showcase their maximum potential, as well as giving the people within the country that I’m serving the benefits and everything this country has to offer while being at peace and not having to worry,” Reddick said.

Reddick is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my family for the constant support and reassurance that they have provided in my life,” Reddick said. “I want to thank God for showing me grace, patience and the understanding I need to develop myself not only as a sailor but as a follower of Christ. I also want to thank my girlfriend for her constant motivation and support through my Navy journey and my future endeavors in life.”

Reddick is working to achieve the goals he’s set for his future.

“I’m going to college at Fresno City College for my associate degree in health science,” Reddick said. “My overall goal is that I want to be a nurse practitioner.”