By Ashley Craig, Navy Office of Community Outreach
MILLINGTON, Tenn. – Petty Officer 1st Class Clyde Daniel, a native of Grady, Arkansas, serving aboard USS Beloit, recently took part in a visit to the ship’s namesake, Beloit, Wisconsin, from Sept. 4-7 to honor the ship’s connection to the region.
Daniel graduated from Star City High School in 2006.
“Growing up, I learned the importance of working hard, treating people with respect and never being afraid to work for what you want,” Daniel said. “Those lessons have stayed with me throughout my Navy career. The Navy has taught me that you don’t accomplish much by yourself, and that being dependable and looking out for the people around you is just as important as doing your own job well.”
Daniel joined the Navy 16 years ago.
“I joined the Navy because I wanted to build a better future for myself and my family,” Daniel said. “I wanted the opportunity to challenge myself, learn a trade, travel and become the kind of person my family could be proud of. Over the years, the Navy has given me opportunities to grow both personally and professionally, and it has become a major part of who I am.”
Today, Daniel serves as a gas turbine system technician (mechanical).
“What I like most about my job is knowing that the work I do directly contributes to keeping the ship running and the crew safe,” Daniel said. “I enjoy troubleshooting equipment, solving problems and working with my team to get a system back up and operating. After 16 years in the Navy, I also enjoy being able to pass the knowledge and experience I’ve gained on to younger sailors.”
During the visit, eight sailors participated in a variety of public events, including meeting with the public at the Beloit Farmer’s Market, touring The Lincoln Academy to engage with Navy Junior ROTC students, and attending a Beloit Sky Carp baseball game. The crew also participated in community outreach activities with the City Council, Beloit Senior Living, local schools, and veterans at the local VFW post.
This visit provided an opportunity for the local community to engage with their U.S. Navy and witness firsthand the professionalism and commitment of its sailors, while also giving the crew a chance to learn more about their ship’s namesake and build upon this meaningful connection with their commissioning committee and local businesses, including Fairbanks Morse.
USS Beloit is the first U.S. Navy ship to be named for the city of Beloit. A littoral combat ship, Beloit is a fast, agile, mission-focused platform designed for operation in near-shore environments yet capable of open-ocean operation. It is designed to defeat asymmetric “anti-access” threats such as mines, quiet diesel submarines and fast surface craft. They are capable of supporting forward presence, maritime security, sea control and deterrence.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Daniel has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“My proudest accomplishment in the Navy is reaching 16 years of service and continuing to grow as a sailor and a leader,” Daniel said. “I am proud of the experience I’ve gained throughout my career, but I am especially proud of being able to use that experience to train, mentor and help younger sailors succeed. Knowing that I can make a positive difference in the sailors I work with is one of the most rewarding parts of my career.”
Daniel serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means providing something bigger than myself,” Daniel said. “It means being willing to make sacrifices and spend time away from the people I love so that I can serve my country and provide a better future for my family. After 16 years, the Navy is more than a job to me. It has shaped who I am, taught me perseverance and has given me the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the sailors I’ve served with.”
Daniel is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/Navy-250/
For more information about USS Beloit, visit the ship’s official webpage at https://www.surflant.usff.navy.mil/lcs29/. To follow the crew’s updates, follow the ship’s official Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/p/USS-Beloit-LCS-29-100067506126987/.
