MAYPORT, Fla. - Seaman Amya Santana, a native of Orlando, Florida, is one of the sailors keeping naval aviators ready for takeoff while serving at Fleet Readiness Center (FRC) Southeast Detachment, Mayport, Florida.
Santana graduated from Wekiva High School in 2024.
The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Orlando.
“Honesty and integrity were two lessons instilled in me growing up,” Santana said. “Those lessons directly translate into my Navy career and allow me to embody the Navy’s core values of honor, courage and commitment.”
Santana joined the Navy two years ago. Today, Santana serves as a logistics specialist.
“I joined the Navy because of the opportunity it provided to further my education,” Santana said.
FRC Southeast is Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia’s largest maintenance, repair, overhaul and technical services provider. Employing approximately 5,000 workers, FRC Southeast maintains, repairs and delivers aircraft, engines and aeronautical components to the fleet. Sailors serving at FRC Southeast Detachment Mayport maintain the engines and components of the MH-60 Seahawk helicopter and perform limited work supporting the MQ-4C Triton unmanned aerial vehicle. These aircraft support maritime patrol, reconnaissance and anti-submarine missions and are a critical part of maintaining the combat airpower for America’s military forces.
“The meticulous repair work our sailors perform on these aircraft and components is exactly what keeps our Navy flying and our nation secure,” said Capt. Mike Windom, commanding officer of FRC Southeast. “Every piece of gear that leaves our facility is a promise to the warfighter that they have the equipment needed to execute their mission and come home safely.”
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Santana has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of graduating from boot camp and ‘A’ school because they were both challenging, pushed me outside of my comfort zones and were unlike anything I’ve ever done before,” Santana said.
Santana serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means stability and opportunities to achieve my goals,” Santana said.
Santana is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my family for supporting me and my career,” Santana added. “I’m also grateful to every chain of command I’ve had for making it easier for me to navigate being in the Navy. Without their guidance, I wouldn’t have learned the lessons I needed to. They made the transition from being separated from everything I know easier.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Rion Codrington |
Santana graduated from Wekiva High School in 2024.
The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Orlando.
“Honesty and integrity were two lessons instilled in me growing up,” Santana said. “Those lessons directly translate into my Navy career and allow me to embody the Navy’s core values of honor, courage and commitment.”
Santana joined the Navy two years ago. Today, Santana serves as a logistics specialist.
“I joined the Navy because of the opportunity it provided to further my education,” Santana said.
FRC Southeast is Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia’s largest maintenance, repair, overhaul and technical services provider. Employing approximately 5,000 workers, FRC Southeast maintains, repairs and delivers aircraft, engines and aeronautical components to the fleet. Sailors serving at FRC Southeast Detachment Mayport maintain the engines and components of the MH-60 Seahawk helicopter and perform limited work supporting the MQ-4C Triton unmanned aerial vehicle. These aircraft support maritime patrol, reconnaissance and anti-submarine missions and are a critical part of maintaining the combat airpower for America’s military forces.
“The meticulous repair work our sailors perform on these aircraft and components is exactly what keeps our Navy flying and our nation secure,” said Capt. Mike Windom, commanding officer of FRC Southeast. “Every piece of gear that leaves our facility is a promise to the warfighter that they have the equipment needed to execute their mission and come home safely.”
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Santana has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of graduating from boot camp and ‘A’ school because they were both challenging, pushed me outside of my comfort zones and were unlike anything I’ve ever done before,” Santana said.
Santana serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means stability and opportunities to achieve my goals,” Santana said.
Santana is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my family for supporting me and my career,” Santana added. “I’m also grateful to every chain of command I’ve had for making it easier for me to navigate being in the Navy. Without their guidance, I wouldn’t have learned the lessons I needed to. They made the transition from being separated from everything I know easier.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
