Friday, September 11, 2026

Virginia Beach sailor earns doctorate degree

By Alvin Plexico, Navy Office of Community Outreach

Millington, Tenn. – Petty Officer 1st Class John Paul Viar, who currently resides in Virginia Beach with his wife and two daughters, recently earned a doctorate in healthcare administration from Oklahoma State University.

“I reached this goal one class at a time through sea duty, duties ashore and family responsibilities,” Viar said. “I hope this reminds other sailors, regardless of rank, that steady effort toward any meaningful goal can add up over time.”Other degrees earned by Viar include a Master of Health Administration from Louisiana State University in 2022, Master of Business Administration from Saint Leo University in 2021, Master of Public Administration from University of Phoenix in 2013 and a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communication from Centro Escolar University in 2005.

Viar graduated from Pasig Catholic College in 2001 and immigrated to the United States in 2005.

“I joined the U.S. Navy to serve the country I now call home,” Viar said. “Nearly 20 years later, I remain grateful for the people and experiences that have shaped me.”

Viar joined the Navy in 2007. Today, Viar serves as an aviation boatswain’s mate (handling) and as the executive assistant to the U.S. 2nd Fleet chief of staff.

“Serving in the Navy means being part of something bigger than myself,” Viar said. “It has allowed me to serve my country, provide for my family, grow as a person and learn from people from many backgrounds. I have learned that service is also about taking care of people, contributing to the mission and helping others succeed.”

Viar is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I would like to thank my wife, Rachelle, and our daughters, Sofia and Savannah, for their love, patience and support,” Viar added. “I also want to thank my parents for the values they gave me, along with the leaders, mentors and shipmates who encouraged me along the way. Whatever I have accomplished, I did not accomplish it alone.”

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/