By Megan Lemly, Navy Office of Community Outreach
MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 2nd Class Jack Washburn, a native of Braselton, Georgia, serves in the U.S. Navy and is assigned to the Red Lancers of Patrol Squadron 10 (VP-10).
Washburn graduated from Jackson County High School in 2023.
The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Braselton.
“I grew up in a smaller city, so I was able to have more personal relationships with my teachers and mentors,” Washburn said. “That background helps me prioritize connections and develop relationships with sailors.”
Washburn joined the Navy three years ago. Today, Washburn serves as a naval air crewman (operator).
“My sister joined the Navy a year before me,” Washburn said. “I joined to follow in her footsteps.”
VP-10 is one of the original and oldest aviation squadrons in the U.S. Navy. The squadron was originally formed in 1921 as a derivative of VS-15. However, it traces its official heritage to July 1, 1930, with the commissioning of Patrol Bombing Squadron 10S.
Members of VP-10 fly and maintain the U.S. Navy’s P-8A Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft. Designed to secure the U.S. Navy’s future in long-range maritime patrol capability, the P-8A has transformed how the Navy’s maritime patrol and reconnaissance force will train, operate and deploy, according to Navy officials. P-8A aircraft deploy around the globe to monitor the world’s oceans wherever they are needed.
“The men and women of Patrol Squadron TEN are the driving force behind the Red Lancers’ combat readiness and tactical excellence,” said Cmdr. Jason Coons, commanding officer of VP-10. “By relentlessly honing their craft in anti-submarine warfare and P-8A overwatch, they ensure our national interests are protected every single day.”
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Washburn has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“The biggest thing I’ve done so far is getting fully qualified in my job,” Washburn said. “That was definitely the hardest thing I’ve done, but also the most rewarding.”
Washburn serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation's prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy is the biggest thing I've done in my life so far, and it gave me a great start to life after high school,” Washburn said. “It has been cool to pursue a career in the Navy alongside my sister. I enjoy being able to share our experiences and serve the same mission.”
Washburn is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my sister, Alex Washburn,” Washburn added. “She has been super influential and a great role model to me my whole life. I also want to thank my parents, Lee and Joy, for raising me. My mom is supportive, and my dad is in the Army, so he’s always been good at guiding me throughout my career. He also gave me advice and helped prepare me for my first deployment.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
_insignia_2016.png)