Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Saline native serves with Navy’s first unmanned patrol and reconnaissance squadron

By Megan Lemly, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 1st Class Dustin Warren, a native of Saline, Louisiana, serves in the U.S. Navy and is assigned to Unmanned Patrol Squadron 19 (VUP-19), the Navy’s first unmanned patrol and reconnaissance squadron.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Rion Codrington


Warren graduated from Saline High School in 2014.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Saline.

“Coming from such a small town taught me how important hard work is because we had to figure out how to get things done,” Warren said. “I also learned that people matter and to never stop pushing myself towards bigger and better things. These lessons help me every day in the Navy.”

Warren joined the Navy 11 years ago. Today, Warren serves as a robotics warfare specialist.

“I remember being very young and hearing stories from my great-uncles about their time in the military,” Warren said. “They were all drafted between the Korean and Vietnam wars. Their pride in what they did made me want to be a part of the small group of Americans who answer the call to serve.”

Members of VUP-19 support the “Big Red” mission, a historical nod to the command’s role in the Korean War. In 1951, during night interdiction missions, the squadron would drop red night illumination flares to support allied air and ground units.

Today, more than 500 sailors serve at VUP-19. Members of the squadron maintain and launch the MQ-4C Triton aircraft to provide persistent intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, distributing valuable and time-critical intelligence to combatant and fleet commanders.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Warren has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“My two proudest accomplishments are being named the 2025 Maintainer of the Year and achieving my ‘Safe for Flight’ designation,” Warren said. “I’m proud of both of those accomplishments because they both took perseverance and dedication to achieve.”

Warren serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means more than I could ever put into words, but I will try,” Warren said. “The Navy gave me the opportunity to protect the ones I love and lead the next generation of warfighters. It has also given me the chance to build a life I can look back on 40 years down the road and be proud of.”

Warren is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“First, I would like to thank my wife, Desiree, for holding down the fort through my many deployments over the past 11 years,” Warren added. “Without her, none of this would even be possible. I also want to thank my parents. Although they did not like that this was the career I wanted to pursue, they have supported me every step of the way. Lastly, I am grateful to all the leaders and mentors I’ve had throughout my career. I would not be where I am today if it wasn’t for them allowing me to fail, learn and eventually succeed.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/