Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Feasterville native serves with Navy’s first unmanned patrol and reconnaissance squadron

By Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Jeffrey Militzer, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 1st Class Anthony Verrecchio, a native of Feasterville, Pennsylvania, serves in the U.S. Navy and is assigned to Unmanned Patrol Squadron 19 (VUP-19), the Navy’s first unmanned patrol and reconnaissance squadron.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Rion Codrington


Verrecchio graduated from Neshaminy High School in 2017.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Feasterville.

“I was very sports-oriented growing up,” Verrecchio said. “Being in sports, I learned plenty about teamwork and working together to achieve a common goal.”

Verrecchio joined the Navy nine years ago. Today, Verrecchio serves as a naval air crewman (operator).

“I wanted to do something with more of a purpose,” Verrecchio said. “Joining the military is like opening a door with more doors inside. There’s a way to get to just about anything once you step inside.”

Members of VUP-19 support the “Big Red” mission, a historical nod to the command’s role in the Korean War. In 1951, during night interdiction missions, the squadron would drop red night illumination flares to support allied air and ground units.

Today, more than 500 sailors serve at VUP-19. Members of the squadron maintain and launch the MQ-4C Triton aircraft to provide persistent intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, distributing valuable and time-critical intelligence to combatant and fleet commanders.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Verrecchio has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“My proudest accomplishment in the Navy is making the rank of petty officer first class in about five years,” Verrecchio said. “I worked hard for the opportunity to earn the promotion early and was most proud when all of my hard work paid off.”

Verrecchio serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means making a difference in the world and providing for my family,” Verrecchio said. “Anything I can do to provide for my family and be a part of the greatest team on Earth means a lot to me.”

Verrecchio is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I would like to thank my wife,” Verrecchio added. “She has put in some serious overtime caring for our two children while I was transitioning duty schedules.”

Verrecchio wants to continue serving in the future, but in a different capacity.

“I’m planning on transitioning into the reserves next year,” Verrecchio said. “I want to be more present for my family but still continue to serve as long as I can.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/