MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 1st Class Michael Deitch, a former resident of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, is one of the sailors supporting Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Force (MPFR) missions at Tactical Operations Control Squadron 11 (TOCRON-11).
Deitch graduated from Mechanicsburg Area High School in 2004.
“Growing up in Mechanicsburg, I always wanted something beyond, especially for my family,” Deitch said. “It was a small town and there weren’t a lot of opportunities, so I wanted them to be exposed to different cultures and environments.”
Deitch joined the Navy 10 years ago.
“I joined the Navy because I felt a sense of service to my country,” Deitch said. “It was important for me to serve and give back to my country. I come from a military family. My great-grandfather was in the Army, and then my grandfather and father were in the Air Force.”
TOCRON-11 serves as the information center for MPFR missions. Sailors serving at the command are tasked with coordinating, directing and commanding global anti-submarine warfare, intelligence and maritime surveillance operations. The command was established in 2020, and today, more than 150 sailors serve at the specialized squadron.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Deitch has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I’m proud of the impact I make on the people around me,” Deitch said. “It’s not about what I accomplish but how others around me grow.”
Deitch serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“It gives me a sense of pride in protecting my family and friends,” Deitch said. “Not a lot of people do the job that I do. Matter of fact, only a small percent of the country serves in the military. But I’m able to wake up every morning proud knowing I’m going to accomplish something.”
Deitch is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I’m thankful for my wife, Sarah, and our kids,” Deitch said. “They’re just always supportive no matter what news comes. Whether we’re moving or getting deployed, they’re adaptable to everything the Navy throws at us and are always there for me.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Jeffrey Militzer |
Deitch graduated from Mechanicsburg Area High School in 2004.
“Growing up in Mechanicsburg, I always wanted something beyond, especially for my family,” Deitch said. “It was a small town and there weren’t a lot of opportunities, so I wanted them to be exposed to different cultures and environments.”
Deitch joined the Navy 10 years ago.
“I joined the Navy because I felt a sense of service to my country,” Deitch said. “It was important for me to serve and give back to my country. I come from a military family. My great-grandfather was in the Army, and then my grandfather and father were in the Air Force.”
TOCRON-11 serves as the information center for MPFR missions. Sailors serving at the command are tasked with coordinating, directing and commanding global anti-submarine warfare, intelligence and maritime surveillance operations. The command was established in 2020, and today, more than 150 sailors serve at the specialized squadron.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Deitch has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I’m proud of the impact I make on the people around me,” Deitch said. “It’s not about what I accomplish but how others around me grow.”
Deitch serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“It gives me a sense of pride in protecting my family and friends,” Deitch said. “Not a lot of people do the job that I do. Matter of fact, only a small percent of the country serves in the military. But I’m able to wake up every morning proud knowing I’m going to accomplish something.”
Deitch is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I’m thankful for my wife, Sarah, and our kids,” Deitch said. “They’re just always supportive no matter what news comes. Whether we’re moving or getting deployed, they’re adaptable to everything the Navy throws at us and are always there for me.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
