MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 2nd Class Chazz Cruz, a native of Perth Amboy, New Jersey, is one of the sailors supporting Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Force (MPFR) missions at Tactical Operations Control Squadron 11 (TOCRON-11).
Cruz graduated from Perth Amboy High School in 2015.
“I learned growing up that you have to grind every day,” Cruz said. “You have to wake up and try to be a better version of yourself, and put your best foot forward, no matter what happened the day before. In the Navy, you’re going to have days when you don’t feel 100% and feel like the workload is too much. What helps me in those moments is knowing that there are better days to come. The journey is not about looking at how far you have to go; it’s about looking at how far you’ve come.”
Cruz joined the Navy 11 years ago.
“I joined the Navy because I knew school wasn’t for me and I wanted to do something that mattered,” Cruz said.
TOCRON-11 serves as the information center for MPFR missions. Sailors serving at the command are tasked with coordinating, directing and commanding global anti-submarine warfare, intelligence and maritime surveillance operations. The command was established in 2020, and today, more than 150 sailors serve at the specialized squadron.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Cruz has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“In 2018, we were underway when we engaged in live fire,” Cruz said. “Thanks to my training and understanding of the situation, we were able to put rounds on target without any casualties or hurting anyone. That moment defined everything I was working toward and showed that what I was learning truly mattered. If I didn’t understand what I was doing, I could have hurt innocent people who weren’t the target.”
Cruz serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means putting others’ needs before your own,” Cruz said. “It also means that people look up to you and you have a responsibility for everyone who follows you, not just yourself.”
Cruz is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my wife, Katherine, my kids, Meilani and Marlo, and my whole family,” Cruz added. “They stay at home when I’m gone, and I know that is a lot of sacrifice from them. I also have to thank my grandparents, Hector and Migdalia, for raising me my whole life and for leading me to be the man I am today.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Jeffrey Militzer |
Cruz graduated from Perth Amboy High School in 2015.
“I learned growing up that you have to grind every day,” Cruz said. “You have to wake up and try to be a better version of yourself, and put your best foot forward, no matter what happened the day before. In the Navy, you’re going to have days when you don’t feel 100% and feel like the workload is too much. What helps me in those moments is knowing that there are better days to come. The journey is not about looking at how far you have to go; it’s about looking at how far you’ve come.”
Cruz joined the Navy 11 years ago.
“I joined the Navy because I knew school wasn’t for me and I wanted to do something that mattered,” Cruz said.
TOCRON-11 serves as the information center for MPFR missions. Sailors serving at the command are tasked with coordinating, directing and commanding global anti-submarine warfare, intelligence and maritime surveillance operations. The command was established in 2020, and today, more than 150 sailors serve at the specialized squadron.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Cruz has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“In 2018, we were underway when we engaged in live fire,” Cruz said. “Thanks to my training and understanding of the situation, we were able to put rounds on target without any casualties or hurting anyone. That moment defined everything I was working toward and showed that what I was learning truly mattered. If I didn’t understand what I was doing, I could have hurt innocent people who weren’t the target.”
Cruz serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means putting others’ needs before your own,” Cruz said. “It also means that people look up to you and you have a responsibility for everyone who follows you, not just yourself.”
Cruz is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my wife, Katherine, my kids, Meilani and Marlo, and my whole family,” Cruz added. “They stay at home when I’m gone, and I know that is a lot of sacrifice from them. I also have to thank my grandparents, Hector and Migdalia, for raising me my whole life and for leading me to be the man I am today.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
