SAN DIEGO - Seaman Apprentice Markus Bair, a native of Austintown, Ohio, serves under the sea aboard USS Greeneville to ensure Americans’ safety.
Bair graduated from Austintown Fitch High School in 2025.
“Before I joined the Navy, I used to show up to my job at Arby’s an hour early every day,” Bair said. “I had to walk two miles each way to get there. That taught me time management and how to show up on time, which has helped me succeed in the Navy.”
Bair joined the Navy one year ago.
“I joined the Navy to do once-in-a-lifetime things,” Bair said. “I joined on a whim. The recruiter came to our school, and my friend and I decided to join. We both had no clue where we would end up. He is currently serving as a missile technician on a submarine.”
Today, Bair serves as a fire control technician aboard Greeneville, a fast-attack submarine homeported at Naval Base Point Loma.
Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarines, like Greeneville, have been the backbone of the submarine force for the last 40 years, with approximately 23 in service. Fast-attack submarines are designed to hunt down and destroy enemy submarines and surface ships; strike targets ashore with cruise missiles; carry and deliver Navy SEALs; conduct intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions; and engage in mine warfare.
The next generation of fast-attack submarines – the Virginia class – is under construction in America’s shipyards, with 24 of the most advanced submarines in the world already at sea and more on the horizon, all designed to combine stealth and payload capability to meet the demands of this era of strategic competition.
Strategic deterrence is the nation’s ultimate insurance program, according to Navy officials. As a member of the submarine force, Bair serves aboard a platform capable of bringing the fight to enemies in defense of America and its allies.
Bair has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of earning a challenge coin from my commanding officer,” Bair said. “I earned it for my good performance while doing submarine tracking in our trainer. I studied a lot to perform well in the training, asked a lot of questions and always knew where to look in the books to find an answer. I still keep the coin in my wallet to this day.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
“I look at serving in the Navy as a way to fulfill my responsibility to serve and protect my country,” Bair said.
Bair is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my trades class teacher, James Fisher, because I would have never joined the Navy if he had not brought the recruiter into class,” Bair added. “I also want to thank my recruiter, Chief Cogar, because he was very upfront and honest with me. I still keep in touch with him to this day.”
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Bair graduated from Austintown Fitch High School in 2025.
“Before I joined the Navy, I used to show up to my job at Arby’s an hour early every day,” Bair said. “I had to walk two miles each way to get there. That taught me time management and how to show up on time, which has helped me succeed in the Navy.”
Bair joined the Navy one year ago.
“I joined the Navy to do once-in-a-lifetime things,” Bair said. “I joined on a whim. The recruiter came to our school, and my friend and I decided to join. We both had no clue where we would end up. He is currently serving as a missile technician on a submarine.”
Today, Bair serves as a fire control technician aboard Greeneville, a fast-attack submarine homeported at Naval Base Point Loma.
Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarines, like Greeneville, have been the backbone of the submarine force for the last 40 years, with approximately 23 in service. Fast-attack submarines are designed to hunt down and destroy enemy submarines and surface ships; strike targets ashore with cruise missiles; carry and deliver Navy SEALs; conduct intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions; and engage in mine warfare.
The next generation of fast-attack submarines – the Virginia class – is under construction in America’s shipyards, with 24 of the most advanced submarines in the world already at sea and more on the horizon, all designed to combine stealth and payload capability to meet the demands of this era of strategic competition.
Strategic deterrence is the nation’s ultimate insurance program, according to Navy officials. As a member of the submarine force, Bair serves aboard a platform capable of bringing the fight to enemies in defense of America and its allies.
Bair has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of earning a challenge coin from my commanding officer,” Bair said. “I earned it for my good performance while doing submarine tracking in our trainer. I studied a lot to perform well in the training, asked a lot of questions and always knew where to look in the books to find an answer. I still keep the coin in my wallet to this day.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
“I look at serving in the Navy as a way to fulfill my responsibility to serve and protect my country,” Bair said.
Bair is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my trades class teacher, James Fisher, because I would have never joined the Navy if he had not brought the recruiter into class,” Bair added. “I also want to thank my recruiter, Chief Cogar, because he was very upfront and honest with me. I still keep in touch with him to this day.”
