Thursday, September 24, 2026

From Suffolk to a Navy submarine: Sailor serves aboard USS Santa Fe

By Chief Mass Communication Specialist Sean Furey, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Seaman Apprentice Jaylun Boone, a native of Suffolk, Virginia, serves under the sea aboard USS Santa Fe to ensure Americans’ safety.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman
Diamond Kyles


Boone graduated from Lakeland High School in 2024.

“Growing up, I learned that when you pick something, you have to stick with it all the way to the end,” Boone said. “I had a bad habit of jumping from one thing to the next. So I picked the Navy because I knew once I made that decision I would stay committed.”

Boone joined the Navy 10 months ago.

“I joined the Navy because the college route wasn’t for me,” Boone said. “My whole family is Navy. I always knew I would join.”

Today, Boone serves as a yeoman (submarines) aboard Santa Fe, a fast-attack submarine homeported at Naval Base Point Loma.

Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarines, like Santa Fe, have been the backbone of the submarine force for the last 40 years, with approximately 23 in service. Fast-attack submarines are designed to hunt down and destroy enemy submarines and surface ships; strike targets ashore with cruise missiles; carry and deliver Navy SEALs; conduct intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions; and engage in mine warfare.

The next generation of fast-attack submarines – the Virginia class – is under construction in America’s shipyards, with 24 of the most advanced submarines in the world already at sea and more on the horizon, all designed to combine stealth and payload capability to meet the demands of this era of strategic competition.

Strategic deterrence is the nation’s ultimate insurance program, according to Navy officials. As a member of the submarine force, Boone serves aboard a platform capable of bringing the fight to enemies in defense of America and its allies.

Boone has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of starting to grasp the concept of helms and planes, which is driving the boat,” Boone said.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

“Serving the Navy means bettering myself,” Boone said. “Before I joined, I felt like I wasn’t living up to my potential. I was not a fan of the habits and lifestyle I had. My pops made sure I realized I was wasting my potential.”

Boone is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my dad, my mom and my brother,” Boone added. “My dad was the one who was constantly on me about my habits and actions at home, and it disturbed the comfort I had until I was able to break out on my own. My mom, who served in the Navy, and my brother, who is also currently a submariner, shared their experiences from their time in the military with me. They were able to give me advice about the Navy even before I joined.”