Monday, September 28, 2026

From Great Mills to a Navy warship: Sailor serves aboard USS Lake Erie

By Chief Mass Communication Specialist Sean Furey, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Abel Gonzalez, a native of Great Mills, Maryland, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to USS Lake Erie, a guided-missile cruiser operating out of Naval Base San Diego.
Photo by
Mass Communication Specialist
Seaman Diamond Kyles

Gonzalez graduated from Great Mills High School in 2015.

“I grew up in a single-father household,” Gonzalez said. “Going through the hardships, adversity and overcoming those obstacles prepared me for the challenges of the Navy.”

Gonzalez joined the Navy six years ago.

“I joined because I wanted to test my life skills out,” Gonzalez said. “My dad was in the Marine Corps, so the military was in my blood, and he inspired me to join.”

Today, Gonzalez serves as a culinary specialist (CS).

A Navy guided-missile cruiser is a multi-mission ship that can operate independently or as part of a larger group of ships at sea. These ships are equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles giving them additional long range strike warfare capability.

More than 300 sailors serve aboard USS Lake Erie. Their jobs are highly specialized, requiring both dedication and skill. Jobs range from maintaining engines to handling weaponry, along with a multitude of other assignments that keep the ship mission-ready at all times, according to Navy officials.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Gonzalez has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of getting orders to serve at the Naval Academy,” Gonzalez said. “For a CS, that is a really good assignment I never thought I would get.”

Gonzalez serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means a lot to me,” Gonzalez said. “My family has gone from generation to generation serving in the military. It means I can serve my country and do what I have to do to enable people to continue to live out the American dream.”

Gonzalez is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my father, Abel, for guiding me along the way to be able to live on my own,” Gonzalez added. “He taught me discipline and how to raise a family the right way. I also want to thank CS2 Espinosa, CS1 Robinson, Chief Morales, CS1 Esco, CS1 Van and CS1 Banez for bringing me a long way and helping me out through the bad and the good. They always have my back, in and out of work.”