SAN DIEGO - Petty Officer 2nd Class Trevonte Jasper, a native of Charlottesville, Virginia, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to USS Germantown, a dock landing ship operating out of Naval Base San Diego.
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Jasper graduated from Charlottesville High School in 2013.
“Coming from a small town, I learned to be flexible,” Jasper said. “Flexibility is huge in the Navy because you have to complete multiple tasks and sometimes ones that aren’t even in your job rating to get the mission done.”
Jasper joined the Navy six years ago.
“I joined the Navy to explore the world outside of my hometown,” Jasper said. "I also wanted something bigger than what my hometown had to offer."
Today, Jasper serves as an operations specialist.
Dock landing ships like USS Germantown transport and launch amphibious craft and vehicles with their crews and embarked personnel. The ships have a flat, open well deck in the back that fills its tank with water to let smaller boats and heavy vehicles float inside or drive out during beach operations. More than 300 sailors serve aboard USS Germantown, and the ship is capable of transporting an additional 400 Marines.
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Jasper has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I’m most proud of the U.S. Navy Facebook page featuring several of my pictures from UNITAS,” Jasper said. “A big goal of mine is to cross-rate to mass communication specialist, and that gave me a lot of recognition in their community.”
Jasper serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means being a part of something bigger than just myself and giving back to the community,” Jasper said. "I'm proud to serve my country."
Jasper is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank Chief Mass Communication Specialist Purifoy for taking me under her wing and for helping me with my cross-rating package,” Jasper added. “She didn’t have to do it, but she has helped me so much. I also want to thank my dad, Shamon Washington. He has been the biggest supporter of me and always has my back. Lastly, I want to thank my grandma, Rhonda Washington, for always being there when I need her.”
