SAN DIEGO - Seaman Jessica Hamilton, a native of Murfreesboro, Tennessee, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to USS Germantown, a dock landing ship operating out of Naval Base San Diego.
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Hamilton graduated from Riverdale High School in 2012.
“Growing up in a small town with a close-knit community taught me the importance of teamwork, discipline, and building strong friendships,” Hamilton said. “Playing rugby reinforced those lessons by teaching me how to work together, rely on my teammates, and stay disciplined while working toward a common goal.”
Hamilton joined the Navy two years ago.
“After high school, I played rugby for a college team even though I was not enrolled because of my experience and skill,” Hamilton said. “I also worked in a warehouse and attended some college, but I realized that path was not right for me. I wanted more structure, financial stability, and the opportunity to continue my education. I am also the first of eight siblings to join the military.”
Today, Hamilton serves as a personnel specialist.
Dock landing ships like USS Germantown transport and launch amphibious craft and vehicles with their crews and embarked personnel. The ships have a flat, open well deck in the back that fills its tank with water to let smaller boats and heavy vehicles float inside or drive out during beach operations. More than 300 sailors serve aboard USS Germantown, and the ship is capable of transporting an additional 400 Marines.
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Hamilton has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am proud to serve in the Navy and continue learning my job so I can become the best Personnel Specialist I can be,” Hamilton said. “One of my biggest experiences has been supporting the decommissioning of a ship and helping transfer personnel, which required handling a significant amount of paperwork and administrative responsibilities.”
Hamilton serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means having pride in what I do, maintaining discipline, and continually working to better myself,” Hamilton said. “The Navy has allowed me to develop new skills and grow as both a Sailor and a person.”
Hamilton is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I would like to thank my mother, Vanessa Alexander, for always being my support system and backbone,” Hamilton said. “I would also like to thank my sister, Jenessa Hamilton, and my brother, Rakeem, for motivating me to get my life together and continue working toward my goals.”
