Monday, September 28, 2026

From Oviedo to a Navy warship: Sailor serves aboard USS Germantown

By Chief Yeoman Vicki Sonnenberg, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Chief Petty Officer Christina Henry, a native of Oviedo, Florida, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to USS Germantown, a dock landing ship operating out of Naval Base San Diego.
Photo by
Mass Communication Specialist
Seaman Diamond Kyles

Henry graduated from Oviedo High School in 2010.

“Home will always be there as long as I continue to fight for it,” Henry said. “That mindset has encouraged me to see the world, embrace new experiences, and appreciate the opportunities the Navy has given me.”

Henry joined the Navy 13 years ago.

“It all started with a friend named Rachel Brown, who had joined the Air Force,” Henry said. “She came home on leave and told me about her experiences, and after our conversation, I started wondering what my life would be like if I joined. My family was also a big part of my decision. My parents were often viewed as the outcasts of their families, and I watched many of my cousins go to college with a clear plan for their futures. I knew I wanted to change that narrative and give my parents something they could be proud of.”

Today, Henry serves as a quartermaster.

Dock landing ships like USS Germantown transport and launch amphibious craft and vehicles with their crews and embarked personnel. The ships have a flat, open well deck in the back that fills its tank with water to let smaller boats and heavy vehicles float inside or drive out during beach operations. More than 300 sailors serve aboard USS Germantown, and the ship is capable of transporting an additional 400 Marines.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Henry has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“The accomplishment I am most proud of in my career is making chief,” Henry said”. “I came into the Navy as an E-1 undesignated seaman, and looking at where I started and where I am now, 13 years later, is something I am extremely proud of. Although making chief is the beginning of another chapter, it allowed me to step back and take in how far I have come. I realized that I have a purpose, and I am more motivated than ever to do for others what so many great leaders did for me.”

Henry serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“The Navy means everything to me,” Henry said. “It is more than just a career. I was only 20 years old when I joined, and in many ways, the Navy raised me. It taught me discipline, responsibility, and resilience, while giving me opportunities I could not have dreamed of. It also gave me a family, which I am forever grateful for, and the ability to provide for that family. I owe the Navy my life.”

Henry is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I mostly want to thank my mother, who is no longer with me,” Henry said. “Losing her one week into boot camp pushed me to become the person I am today. I knew I had to keep going and see the experience through. I also want to thank my husband and children, who give me purpose every day. I want to be better for them each day. I am grateful to the leaders I have had throughout my career who molded me into the leader I am today. Finally, I want to thank the sailors I have had the privilege of leading. Through them, I have learned a great deal about myself and what it means to lead.”