SAN DIEGO - Lt. Brinn Hefron, a native of Newburyport, Massachusetts, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to Littoral Combat Ship Squadron (LCSRON) 1, operating out of Naval Base San Diego.
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Hefron graduated from Newburyport High School in 2007. Additionally, Hefron earned a master's degree in public relations and advertising from DePaul University in 2018.
“Growing up, my dad taught me to always put 110% into everything I do,” Hefron said. “I have carried that forward, and I always remember to bring my best self to work each day.”
Hefron joined the Navy 18 years ago.
“I was going to college for a year and got a certificate in massage therapy,” Hefron said. “One day I was doing clinicals, and I realized I didn’t like it. My dad jokingly said, ‘Why don’t you join the Navy?’ and here I am 18 years later.”
Today, Hefron serves as a public affairs officer.
The mission of LCSRON 1 is to oversee training, maintenance, manning and certification of Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) crews and ships to provide combatant commanders with flexible, agile and lethal assets able to operate effectively in the littoral environment.
LCSs are designed to operate in near-shore environments to counter 21st-century threats. The ships can function independently or in high-threat scenarios as part of a networked battle force that includes larger, multi-mission surface combatants such as cruisers and destroyers.
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Hefron has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am proud of originally enlisting as an E-1, advancing all the way to E-6 and then commissioning as a naval officer and making it to the rank of Lt.,” Hefron said. “I am also really proud of the example I am setting for my daughter. She turns 17 soon, and she is the commanding officer for her Navy Junior ROTC unit in high school and wants to be a veterinarian in the Army.”
Hefron serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means a chance to be part of something bigger than yourself,” Hefron said.
Hefron is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank all of the sailors that I have had the opportunity to grow with, lead, mentor and be mentored by,” Hefron added. “I also want to thank my daughter for being the reason to be a good example. Lastly, I want to thank my dad; he passed away ten years ago. He raised me well and is the reason I am in the Navy today.”
