SAN DIEGO - Petty Officer 3rd Class Jordan Hopps, a native of Baltimore, Maryland, serves under the sea aboard USS Greenville to ensure Americans’ safety.
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Hopps graduated from Milford Mill Academy in 2012.
“I spent a large part of my younger life playing baseball, which taught me the importance of structure and being part of a team,” Hopps said. “Baseball helped me develop mental maturity and understand how each person contributes to the success of the group. Those lessons have translated well into the military and the close-knit environment of the submarine community.”
Hopps joined the Navy two years ago.
“Life had been good to me, and I had worked in areas such as sports broadcasting, but the COVID-19 pandemic created inconsistent employment and made me think more seriously about my future,” Hopps said. “I wanted greater stability and a stronger foundation, so I kept an open mind and researched my options before deciding on the Navy. I had also spent six years living in Miami to experience a different pace and environment, and I wanted to continue challenging myself and experiencing life outside of what I already knew.”
Today, Hopps serves as an information systems technician (communications) aboard a fast-attack submarine homeported at Naval Base Point Loma.
Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarines, like USS Greenville, have been the backbone of the submarine force for the last 40 years, with approximately 23 in service. Fast-attack submarines are designed to hunt down and destroy enemy submarines and surface ships; strike targets ashore with cruise missiles; carry and deliver Navy SEALs; conduct intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions; and engage in mine warfare.
The next generation of fast-attack submarines – the Virginia-class – is under construction in America’s shipyards, with 24 of the most advanced submarines in the world already at sea and more on the horizon, all designed to combine stealth and payload capability to meet the demands of this era of strategic competition.
Strategic deterrence is the nation’s ultimate insurance program, according to Navy officials. As a member of the submarine force, Hopps serves aboard a platform capable of bringing the fight to enemies in defense of America and its allies.
Hopps has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“One of my proudest accomplishments has been earning my Submarine Warfare qualification, commonly known as my 'fish' or 'dolphins,'” Hopps said. “I also had the opportunity to meet the boat while it was deployed and received the Realm of the Golden Dragon certificate for crossing the International Date Line. That experience allowed me to travel to places such as Busan, South Korea, and accomplish one of my goals of seeing more of the world outside the United States.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
“Serving means being willing to help in areas where others may not want to go and contributing to something bigger than yourself,” Hopps said. “There are challenges and sacrifices that come with serving the country, but there are also opportunities to have fun and build strong relationships. Being part of such a close-knit community with my shipmates makes the experience especially meaningful, and ultimately, we are working to keep our families and country safe.”
Hopps is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I would like to thank my mom, April, for encouraging me from a young age to get out and explore the world,” Hopps said. “Growing up in Baltimore, she understood that there were experiences beyond home and never made me feel like I had to stay there. I would also like to thank my grandmother, Agnes, for her wisdom, guidance, long conversations, and unconditional support. She has always been there to push me in the right direction, regardless of where I am in the world.”
