Thursday, September 24, 2026

From Pittsgrove to a Navy submarine: Sailor serves aboard USS Greeneville

By Chief Yeoman Vicki Sonnenberg, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Petty Officer 2nd Class Logan Groome, a native of Pittsgrove, New Jersey, serves under the sea aboard USS Greeneville to ensure Americans’ safety.
Photo by
Mass Communication Specialist
Seaman Diamond Kyles

Groome graduated from Arthur P. Schalick High School in 2021.

“I have worked since I was 15 years old, including as a lifeguard and at a farm and nursery,” Groome said. “Working as a lifeguard taught me the importance of protecting people and looking out for their safety, while working at a farm and nursery taught me the value of hard work and how to adapt to demanding conditions, including working in the heat. Those experiences taught me that hard work pays off.”

Groome joined the Navy five years ago.

“I initially met with a Marine recruiter, but I was not impressed with the experience,” Groome said. “After meeting with a Navy recruiter, I felt they were more honest and willing to work with me. I also wanted to take responsibility for my own education rather than have my parents pay for college. The Navy allowed me to serve while building financial independence and pursuing my own future.”

Today, Groome serves as a sonar technician (submarines) aboard a fast-attack submarine homeported at Naval Base Point Loma.

Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarines, like USS Greeneville, have been the backbone of the submarine force for the last 40 years, with approximately 23 in service. Fast-attack submarines are designed to hunt down and destroy enemy submarines and surface ships; strike targets ashore with cruise missiles; carry and deliver Navy SEALs; conduct intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions; and engage in mine warfare.

The next generation of fast-attack submarines – the Virginia-class – is under construction in America’s shipyards, with 24 of the most advanced submarines in the world already at sea and more on the horizon, all designed to combine stealth and payload capability to meet the demands of this era of strategic competition.

Strategic deterrence is the nation’s ultimate insurance program, according to Navy officials. As a member of the submarine force, Groome serves aboard a platform capable of bringing the fight to enemies in defense of America and its allies.

Groome has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“One of my proudest accomplishments was completing a seven-month deployment, during which I was awarded a Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal,” Groome said. “I also had the opportunity to visit Guam and Busan, South Korea. During the deployment, I was able to apply my real-world training while completing national tasking and contributing to keeping my family and country safe.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

“Serving in the Navy gives me a sense of pride and financial freedom,” Groome said. “It has given me the ability to support myself and my wife while serving a purpose greater than myself. I am proud of the opportunities the Navy has provided and the responsibility that comes with serving.”

Groome is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I would like to thank my mother, father, and my wife, Emma, for their continued support and love throughout my Navy career,” Groome added. “Their support has helped me continue moving forward and make the most of the opportunities I have been given.”