Thursday, September 24, 2026

From Pinckneyville to a Navy submarine: Sailor serves aboard USS Greeneville

By Chief Mass Communication Specialist Sean Furey, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Chief Petty Officer Augustus Glazier, a native of Pinckneyville, Illinois, serves under the sea aboard USS Greeneville to ensure Americans’ safety.
Photo by
Mass Communication Specialist Seaman
Diamond Kyles

Glazier graduated from Pinckneyville Community High School in 2014.

“Growing up, I lived in a small town where everyone knew who you were and what you do,” Glazier said. “I applied that small town mentality to the Navy by learning who all my sailors are and what they do.”

Glazier joined the Navy 11 years ago.

“My dad was in the Army and wanted me to join the service, but not the Army or Marines,” Glazier said. “I also had a child at a young age and wanted to provide for and protect them.”

Today, Glazier serves as a logistics specialist (submarines) aboard a fast-attack submarine homeported at Naval Base Point Loma.

Los Angeles-class fast-attack submarines, like USS Greeneville, have been the backbone of the submarine force for the last 40 years, with approximately 23 in service. Fast-attack submarines are designed to hunt down and destroy enemy submarines and surface ships; strike targets ashore with cruise missiles; carry and deliver Navy SEALs; conduct intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance missions; and engage in mine warfare.

The next generation of fast-attack submarines – the Virginia-class – is under construction in America’s shipyards, with 24 of the most advanced submarines in the world already at sea and more on the horizon, all designed to combine stealth and payload capability to meet the demands of this era of strategic competition.

Strategic deterrence is the nation’s ultimate insurance program, according to Navy officials. As a member of the submarine force, Glazier serves aboard a platform capable of bringing the fight to enemies in defense of America and its allies.

Glazier has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of earning the rank of chief petty officer,” Glazier said. “I am the highest-ranking person of all the people that have served in my family. I am proud to be a leader to all sailors and to provide guidance while being the example.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

“Serving in the Navy gave me a purpose,” Glazier said. “It allowed me to show the world who and what I am.”

Glazier is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my dad for all he taught me,” Glazier added. “I know he is watching over me and is proud. I also want to thank my wife for supporting me and my family and allowing me to serve.”