Monday, September 28, 2026

From Santee to a Navy warship: Sailor serves aboard USS Germantown

By Megan Lemly, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Petty Officer 2nd Class Andrew Gluhm, a native of Santee, California, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to USS Germantown, a dock landing ship operating out of Naval Base San Diego.
Photo by
Mass Communication Specialist
Seaman Diamond Kyles

Gluhm graduated from Santana High School in 2008.

“I learned growing up that the best things in life aren’t easy and that you have to put in the work to get the results you want,” Gluhm said. “I also learned to be flexible and to take risks. I joined kind of late in life. That was kind of a risk in itself, but if you take chances and put in the work, you will get results.”

Gluhm joined the Navy five years ago.

“I joined the Navy because my dad and grandpa were both in the Navy,” Gluhm said. “I had also been working in the private sector for a while and I wanted to give my kids a better life. I wanted them to have the opportunities I had growing up with my dad being in the Navy.”

Today, Gluhm serves as a personnel specialist.

Dock landing ships like USS Germantown transport and launch amphibious craft and vehicles with their crews and embarked personnel. The ships have a flat, open well deck in the back that fills its tank with water to let smaller boats and heavy vehicles float inside or drive out during beach operations. More than 300 sailors serve aboard USS Germantown, and the ship is capable of transporting an additional 400 Marines.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Gluhm has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“My proudest accomplishment is being able to wear the same uniform my dad and grandad did,” Gluhm said. “Nothing makes me more proud than getting to carry on their legacy and walk in their footsteps wearing the same uniform they did.”

Gluhm serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy is the ultimate way to give back to my community and family,” Gluhm said. “My family has a lot of opportunities because of my service.”

Gluhm is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“First, I want to thank my dad, Ron Hilterbrant, for leading by example,” Gluhm added. “He showed me that through service, you can have a better life. I want to thank my mom, Lisa Gluhm, grandma Patricia Barnes, and aunt, Michele Mendyk, for pushing me to pursue the Navy, even when I was unsure at times. Of course, I also have to thank my wife, Autumn Noyes, for her constant support. She has the hardest job. She is holding it down at home while I’m away. Her support and encouragement allow me to keep doing what I’m doing. She truly is a driving force for me. Lastly, I want to thank our kids, George and Caroline, for staying strong and doing the right thing while I'm here.”