SAN DIEGO - Seaman Julian Garcia, a native of South Bend, Indiana, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to USS Germantown, a dock landing ship operating out of Naval Base San Diego.
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Garcia graduated from Riley High School in 2025.
“Before joining the Navy, I worked on properties doing basic labor, which taught me the value of hard work,” Garcia said. “I learned that consistent effort and taking pride in your work are important to accomplishing any task.”
Garcia joined the Navy one year ago.
“I was looking for a change, and the Navy allowed me to explore new places and experiences while providing financial stability,” Garcia said. “I wanted to step outside of what I already knew and build a better future for myself.”
Today, Garcia serves as a boatswain’s mate.
Dock landing ships like USS Germantown transport and launch amphibious craft and vehicles with their crews and embarked personnel. The ships have a flat, open well deck in the back that fills its tank with water to let smaller boats and heavy vehicles float inside or drive out during beach operations. More than 300 sailors serve aboard USS Germantown, and the ship is capable of transporting an additional 400 Marines.
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Garcia has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“My proudest accomplishment so far has been being ranked Early Promote on my first evaluation,” Garcia said. “Receiving that recognition early in my Navy career showed me that my hard work was being noticed and motivated me to continue improving.”
Garcia serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means protecting our country and the people who live here,” Garcia said. “I am proud to contribute to that mission and be part of something greater than myself.”
Garcia is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I would like to thank my brother, Information Systems Technician 3rd Class Jovanni Garcia, who enlisted before me,” Garcia said. “He helped make me comfortable with my decision to join and helped me understand the process. I would also like to thank my mother for motivating me and encouraging me to consider military service.”
