Thursday, September 24, 2026

Highlands Ranch native serves at Littoral Combat Ship Squadron

By Megan Lemly, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Petty Officer 3rd Class Nathan Jordan, a native of Highlands Ranch, Colorado, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to Littoral Combat Ship Squadron (LCSRON) 1, operating out of Naval Base San Diego.
Photo by
Mass Communication Specialist
Seaman Diamond Kyles

Jordan graduated from ThunderRidge High School in 2010. Additionally, Jordan earned a bachelor’s degree in transmedia film from Syracuse University in 2014.

“I grew up in a pretty small town where lots of people knew each other,” Jordan said. “It’s surprisingly similar in the Navy, especially on an aircraft carrier, which is like a small town.”

Jordan joined the Navy six years ago.

“I originally joined the Navy to be a pilot,” Jordan said. "I then got roped into special warfare and went to Basic Underwater Development School (BUDS). I left, though, to pursue a job where I could use the experience I earned from my college degree. That's why I chose to be a mass communication specialist (MC). Taking videos and pictures is my passion.”

Today, Jordan serves as a mass communication specialist.

The mission of LCSRON 1 is to oversee training, maintenance, manning and certification of Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) crews and ships to provide combatant commanders with flexible, agile and lethal assets able to operate effectively in the littoral environment.

LCSs are designed to operate in near-shore environments to counter 21st-century threats. The ships can function independently or in high-threat scenarios as part of a networked battle force that includes larger, multi-mission surface combatants such as cruisers and destroyers.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Jordan has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am proud that in the course of four months, several of my photos reached 57,440 views and had 3,088 downloads, most of which were news articles,” Jordan said. “One of the photos was actually acquired by Apple. That was a huge accomplishment because I had 2,000 more picture downloads than any other MCs in my shop.”

“I’m also proud of getting through a 10-month deployment aboard USS Carl Vinson,” Jordan said. “We were in the Middle East for 128 days straight with no port, and it was tough being away from family. Going through BUDS twice was also a great experience for me. It taught me teamwork, brotherhood and really showed me a willpower I didn’t know I had. It makes me proud because a lot of sailors drop out in the first week and some don’t even make it to the first phase at all. Lastly, I am proud that my team won a Navy Media Award for four Instagram Reels and 15 photos published during San Francisco Fleet Week. One of the Reels actually had more than 42,000 likes on the Navy Instagram page, which is a huge accomplishment on its own.”

Jordan serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means sacrifice and commitment to my country,” Jordan said. “I am committed to preserving the freedoms the service members before me fought to defend, and I am dedicated to upholding their legacy of sacrifice. The military takes a lot of sacrifice. You are away from family and friends a lot. For two years, I was only home for four months. However, those are sacrifices I’m willing to make to uphold the Navy’s core values and keep American citizens safe.”

Jordan is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my parents, Steven and Judy, my late brother, Christopher Jordan, and my sister, Megan Weaver, for being there for me through tough times,” Jordan added. "Sometimes being on a ship full of people can feel very lonely. However, my parents always taught me to persevere through hard times. My brother would also help take the stress away with our calls. He always gave me a good laugh. Of course, I also have to thank my wife, Elena. She was always the one to talk me down from the frustrations I had in the Navy. Her name means light in Spanish, and she is the light in my life. She was the rock I needed. I am also grateful for our kids, Stone and Maverick. Talking to my kids took me out of the tough environment I was working in.

“I also want to give a special shoutout to my Advanced Placement art teacher, Ruth Wilson, for always teaching me to embrace creativity and not give up on my craft. Mr. Russell was another teacher who influenced me. Every day when we were leaving class, he would say, ‘Peace in the Middle East and make good choices.’ Lastly, I want to thank my video production teacher, Ms. Moots, for letting me have creative freedom and for allowing me to have fun.”