SAN DIEGO - Chief Petty Officer Tina Jennings, a native of Stockton, California, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to USS Canberra, a littoral combat ship operating out of Naval Base San Diego.
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Jennings graduated from Thomas Edison High School in 2004. Additionally, Jennings earned an associate's degree from Central Texas College in 2013, a bachelor's degree in business administration with a concentration in information technology from Saint Leo University in 2024, and most recently earned a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in project management from Columbia Southern University in 2026.
“Growing up, I learned how to use common sense,” Jennings said. “I learned that from my brothers, family, and community. Coming from poverty, I had to struggle, but the Navy has afforded me the opportunity to have everything.”
Jennings joined the Navy 22 years ago.
“I was inspired to join the Navy by my parents and my late brother,” Jennings said. “They told me to honor our family. I am first-generation American, and they came here as refugees after the Vietnam War. I wanted a better quality of life for myself and for them.”
Today, Jennings serves as an operations specialist.
Littoral combat ships like USS Canberra are designed to operate in near-shore environments to counter 21st-century threats. The ships can function independently or in high-threat scenarios as part of a networked battle force that includes larger, multi-mission surface combatants such as cruisers and destroyers.
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Jennings has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of earning the rank of chief petty officer,” Jennings said. “I did the Navy one enlistment at a time. Now, after 22 years, I have a family, two kids, a master's degree, I was able to buy my own home and now I get to settle down and look forward to retirement.”
Jennings serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy to me means commitment, pride, freedom and embracing different cultures,” Jennings said.
Jennings is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“First I want to thank my mom,” Jennings said. “She is my role model. She is a strong woman who has faced a lot of adversity. Even to this day, no matter what happens, she pushes through. Seeing how she handled her personal challenges with grace makes me want to be like her.
“I also want to thank my two kids. My oldest is in college, and my youngest is a freshman in high school. They have been by my side throughout my Navy career, and now my son told me to retire because it's time to hang it up and spend more time with them.”
