Thursday, September 10, 2026

Loveland native keeps naval aviators flying in Florida

By Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Jeffrey Militzer, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 2nd Class Manuel Reyes, a native of Loveland, Ohio, is one of the sailors keeping naval aviators ready for takeoff while serving at Fleet Readiness Center (FRC) Southeast Detachment, Jacksonville, Florida.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Rion Codrington


Reyes graduated from Goshen High School in 2026.

Reyes joined the Navy six years ago. Today, Reyes serves as a logistics specialist.

“I was working at a restaurant right before I decided to join the Navy,” Reyes said. “I decided one day that I wanted to change the direction of my life, so I went into the recruiter’s office and signed up right on the spot, so to speak.”

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Loveland.

“While working at the restaurant, I learned a lot of skills that I use today,” Reyes said. “We had to constantly be flexible and ready to adapt to change. I use that in the Navy all of the time.”

FRC Southeast is Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia’s largest maintenance, repair, overhaul and technical services provider. Employing approximately 5,000 workers, FRC Southeast maintains, repairs and delivers aircraft, engines and aeronautical components to the fleet. Sailors serving at FRC Southeast Detachment Jacksonville maintain the P-3 Orion, P-8 Poseidon and H-60 Seahawk. These aircraft support maritime patrol, reconnaissance and anti-submarine missions and are a critical part of maintaining the combat airpower for America’s military forces.

“The meticulous repair work our sailors perform on these aircraft and components is exactly what keeps our Navy flying and our nation secure,” said Capt. Mike Windom, commanding officer of FRC Southeast. “Every piece of gear that leaves our facility is a promise to the warfighter that they have the equipment needed to execute their mission and come home safely.”

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Reyes has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“My proudest accomplishment in the Navy is earning my bachelor’s degree,” Reyes said. “I was able to coordinate with Excelsior University to complete my classes while out at sea.”

Reyes serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means protecting our freedom for my family and my friends,” Reyes said. “I want them to be able to live life peacefully and not have to worry about anything.”

Reyes is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I would like to thank my family and my mentors,” Reyes added. “They all provided me with the support and encouragement I needed to help me keep going.”

Reyes plans to continue serving and hopes to commission as an officer.

“I am in the process of putting together a package to become a supply officer in the Navy,” Reyes said. “I really enjoy the job of organizing logistics, and becoming a supply officer would let me be a leader in that environment.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/