Thursday, September 10, 2026

Sailor from the Philippines keeps naval aviators flying in Florida

By Megan Lemly, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 3rd Class Michael Routson, from Manila, Philippines, is one of the sailors keeping naval aviators ready for takeoff while serving at Fleet Readiness Center (FRC) Southeast Detachment, Mayport, Florida.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Rion Codrington


Routson graduated from O.B. Montessori Center in 2021.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Manila.

“Growing up, I was focused on helping my mom with the family business,” Routson said. “That taught me discipline and empathy. I also learned how to talk to people older than me. Empathy is really important in the Navy because I try to understand what my sailors are going through so I can make the workload easier for them. The respect I learned from that job also helps me in the Navy because I have to show respect when talking to leadership and sailors older than me.”

Routson joined the Navy four years ago. Today, Routson serves as an aviation electronics technician.

“I joined the Navy to travel and experience new places,” Routson said. “I had a family friend in the Navy, and they told me if I wanted to explore, then I should join the Navy. So, I enlisted.”

FRC Southeast is Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia’s largest maintenance, repair, overhaul and technical services provider. Employing approximately 5,000 workers, FRC Southeast maintains, repairs and delivers aircraft, engines and aeronautical components to the fleet. Sailors serving at FRC Southeast Detachment Mayport maintain the engines and components of the MH-60 Seahawk helicopter and perform limited work supporting the MQ-4C Triton unmanned aerial vehicle. These aircraft support maritime patrol, reconnaissance and anti-submarine missions and are a critical part of maintaining the combat airpower for America’s military forces.

“The meticulous repair work our sailors perform on these aircraft and components is exactly what keeps our Navy flying and our nation secure,” said Capt. Mike Windom, commanding officer of FRC Southeast. “Every piece of gear that leaves our facility is a promise to the warfighter that they have the equipment needed to execute their mission and come home safely.”

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Routson has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of getting promoted to petty officer third class because I know it is a result of all my accomplishments and achievements,” Routson said.

Routson serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Being in the Navy means serving something bigger than yourself and getting to enjoy all the experiences you have while doing it,” Routson said.

Routson is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my mom, Eliza, my sister, Eunice, and my brother-in-law, MD, for being there for me,” Routson added. “I am in a country 3,000 miles away, but they still support me and keep in touch, despite the 12-hour-time change.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/