Thursday, September 10, 2026

Madison Lake native serves with U.S. Navy in Florida

By Chief Mass Communication Specialist Sean Furey, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 3rd Class Joseph Sabatka, a native of Madison Lake, Minnesota, serves in the U.S. Navy and is assigned to Naval Station Mayport at Naval Station Mayport in Florida.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class
Rion Codrington


Sabatka graduated from Mankato East Senior High School in 2022.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Madison Lake.

“I learned hard work from opening a mowing company with my brother,” Sabatka said. “I think building that work ethic before I joined was a good start for me.”

Sabatka joined the Navy three years ago. Today, Sabatka serves as an air traffic controller.

“I joined the Navy to further my career development with air traffic control,” Sabatka said. “My dad was the contributing factor that brought me towards the Navy. He thought it would be a good stepping stone, and if I decided to stay in, it would be a good career path in general. My grandfather was in the military as well.”

Naval Station Mayport is one of the largest naval ports on the East Coast. It has a harbor capable of accommodating 34 ships and an 8,000-foot runway able to support any type of aircraft in the Department of War inventory. The base also serves as the headquarters for the 4th Fleet, which oversees U.S. Naval operations in the Caribbean, Central, and South America.

The mission of Naval Station Mayport is to “Sustain and Enhance Warfighter Readiness,” providing the “Finest service to the Finest fleet.”

“Our sailors are the backbone of everything we do,” said Capt. Mike Trumbull, commanding officer of Naval Station Mayport. “Their dedication, resilience, and readiness ensure our Fleet remains continuously mission-capable. At Naval Station Mayport, mission readiness starts with taking care of our people. Every service we provide, from housing to quality-of-life programs, supports that critical effort.”

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Sabatka has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of working to get my control tower operator certification,” Sabatka said. “It is not a qualification that people generally get at my rank. If I decide to get out, it is a big certificate that the FAA would look at if I was trying to be a civilian air traffic controller.”

Sabatka serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving means the opportunity to meet people from all different backgrounds,” Sabatka said. “Boot camp was a big eye-opener for me. I got to see new communities, the different ways people grew, and seeing how different everyone was from different parts of the United States. People seeing snow for the first time in boot camp was a shocker to me, being from Minnesota. It broadened my views on how people view different topics. You pick up on how everyone’s background shapes their view on the world.”

Sabatka is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my dad,” Sabatka said. “He supported me joining the military and helped me through the sign-up process as well as getting all the waivers I needed. Now that I have been in for a while, he is still a huge supporter. I also want to thank Air Traffic Controller 1st Class Seawater. He was a huge help to me when I first got to Mayport; he was the first person who showed me that despite the difference in rank, he could support me and offer me guidance.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/