SAN DIEGO - Petty Officer 2nd Class Carter Portman, a native of Menifee, California, serves at Naval Base San Diego, the world’s second-largest naval base.
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Portman graduated from Paloma Valley High School in 2019.
The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Menifee.
“I learned growing up the importance of not relying on others to succeed,” Portman said. “In the Navy, your success is completely dependent on you. Whether it’s getting promotions or earning qualifications, no one else is going to push you towards your goals. You are the only person who is going to get you where you want to be, so you have to be able to rely on yourself.”
Portman joined the Navy six years ago. Today, Portman serves as a master-at-arms assigned to Naval Base San Diego.
“I joined the Navy because I needed to mature and grow as a young man,” Portman said. “I also wanted more opportunities outside of my hometown.”
Naval Base San Diego is comprised of over 1,600 land acres and 326 acres of water along the San Diego Bay. It is homeport to the Pacific Fleet Surface Navy with 60 U.S. Navy ships and two auxiliary vessels, including USNS Mercy. The base is also home to more than 200 tenant commands.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Portman has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of winning Junior Sailor of the for Naval Base San Diego Harbor Patrol Unit earlier this year,” Portman said. “I’ve always liked boats and wanted to pursue something in that aspect. So, the Navy sent me to school to become a tactical boat coxswain. Being dual-qualified contributed to me being recognized as Junior Sailor of the Quarter.”
Portman serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means a lot to me because I can protect the people around me while upholding the Navy’s core values of ‘Honor, Courage and Commitment,’” Portman said.
Portman is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my mom and dad, Amber and Joe Portman, for pushing me to be the best version of myself and for teaching me to never back down when times get tough,” Portman added.
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/