Friday, September 25, 2026

San Juan native prepares Navy ships for fleet operations

By Chief Yeoman Vicki Sonnenberg, Navy Office of Community Outreach 

SAN DIEGO - Chief Petty Officer David Ramirez, a native of San Juan, PR, prepares ships for forward-deployed fleet operations while serving at Commander, Naval Surface Group Southwest (CNSGSW). 
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles

Ramirez graduated from Colegio Nuestra Señora De La Providencia in 2003.

“My family taught me the importance of loyalty, being on time, keeping your word and treating others with respect,” Ramirez said. “I have carried those values throughout my Navy career. Your word is your bond, and I believe those simple principles are important whether you are a sailor, a leader or a member of the community”

Ramirez joined the Navy 18 years ago.

“I always loved going on Caribbean cruises with my grandmother and the adventure that came with traveling and experiencing new places,” Ramirez said. “I thought, why not get paid to go on a cruise while serving in uniform? I have always loved the military and the sense of adventure it provides, so joining the Navy felt like a natural fit.”

Today, Ramirez serves as an operations specialist.

CNSGSW was established on Dec. 14th, 2023, and is the fifth surface group to join the fleet, with the four other locations operating out of Japan, Hawaii, Norfolk and Mayport.

The command is responsible for maintenance and training of the surface ships homeported in San Diego, California. Through preparation and a focus on force generation, sailors at the unit prepare ships for on-time maintenance

"Our mission is to deliver combat-ready surface forces that are prepared to operate wherever and whenever our nation calls,” said Capt. Russell Caldwell, commanding officer of Commander, Naval Surface Group Southwest. “That readiness starts with our sailors—their professionalism, skill and commitment are what generate lethality and ensure our units are ready on arrival."

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Ramirez has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of advancing to chief petty officer in 2019 while stationed in Yokosuka, Japan,” Ramirez said. “Becoming a chief was an important milestone, but what I am most proud of is the opportunity it has given me to help, guide and lead sailors through challenging times in their lives. Being able to provide support and encouragement when someone is struggling and help them keep moving forward is one of the most rewarding parts of leadership.”

Ramirez serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy gives me purpose and is a major part of what keeps me going,” Ramirez said. “The Navy has given me opportunities to grow, lead and make a difference in the lives of others. I am proud of the people I have been able to serve alongside and the sailors I have had the opportunity to help.”

Ramirez is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I would like to thank Master Chief Hineman for leading me and helping shape me into the chief I am today,” Ramirez added. “He showed me what great leadership should look like, and I still look up to him. Even today, when I face difficult problems, I often think about the lessons he taught me and how he would approach the situation. I would also like to thank my parents for supporting me from day one and Marissa, my fiancée and my rock, for supporting me and helping reshape my life.”

“I am currently working toward my bachelor’s degree in Business from Columbia College and expect to graduate in December 2026. After retirement, I plan to pursue a career in law. I intend to take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) in 2027 and apply to law school in 2028 to pursue criminal law,” Ramirez said. I look forward to taking the leadership and life experiences I have gained throughout my Navy career into my next chapter.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/