Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Naperville native serves as the commanding officer of Navy Patrol Squadron 10

By Megan Lemly, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Cmdr. Jason “Coondog” Coons, a native of Naperville, Illinois, serves as the commanding officer of Patrol Squadron 10 (VP-10).
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class  
Jeffrey Militzer


Coons graduated from Saint Francis High School in 2003. Additionally, Coons earned a bachelor’s degree in internal business and finance from North Central College in 2008.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Naperville.

“Naperville gave me a pretty strong educational foundation,” Coons said. “As a student, I also learned the importance of applying myself and staying engaged. In the Navy, learning never stops. You have to have an appetite for self-improvement if you want to succeed. I’ve carried those lessons with me in every job I’ve had in the Navy.”

Coons joined the Navy 16 years ago. Today, Coons serves as a naval flight officer.

“I joined the Navy because I had strong family influences that pushed me in this direction,” Coons said. “My dad was a surface warfare officer during Vietnam, and my uncle served in the Army. They both had good things to say about the military, so I decided to join. I’ve enjoyed it enough to stay this long.”

VP-10 is one of the original and oldest aviation squadrons in the U.S. Navy. The squadron was originally formed in 1921 as a derivative of VS-15. However, it traces its official heritage to July 1, 1930, with the commissioning of Patrol Bombing Squadron 10S.

Members of VP-10 fly and maintain the U.S. Navy’s P-8A Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft. Designed to secure the U.S. Navy’s future in long-range maritime patrol capability, the P-8A has transformed how the Navy’s maritime patrol and reconnaissance force will train, operate and deploy, according to Navy officials. P-8A aircraft deploy around the globe to monitor the world’s oceans wherever they are needed.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Coons has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during service.

“My proudest accomplishment in the Navy is taking command of this squadron because it is the culmination of everything I’ve done in my career,” Coons said. “I’m proud to get the chance to influence people at this level because it is not something that I’ve had the opportunity to do before.

“The men and women of Patrol Squadron 10 are the driving force behind the Red Lancers’ combat readiness and tactical excellence. By relentlessly honing their craft in anti-submarine warfare and P-8A overwatch, they ensure our national interests are protected every single day.”

Coons serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy gives me an appreciation for the sacrifices military members make to represent American ideals,” Coons said.

Coons is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my wife, Haley, because she gives me the opportunity to do this,” Coons added. “She has a full-time job and takes care of our kid. Knowing that she has everything handled at home allows me to succeed here. I also want to thank my parents for giving me the foundation to work hard and apply myself.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/