MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 2nd Class Daniel Chavez, a native of El Paso, Texas, is one of the sailors supporting Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Force (MPFR) missions at Tactical Operations Control Squadron (TOCRON-11).
Chavez graduated from Parkland High School in 2021. Additionally, Chavez is pursuing an associate degree in general studies from the University of Maryland Global Campus and is expected to graduate later this year.
“Growing up, I learned very early on that family is everything, and that family means showing up for one another and helping those who need it,” Chavez said. “I have carried that exact mindset into my Navy career. As a leader with junior sailors looking up to me, I view my division as an extension of my family. My job is to guide them, support them and make sure they have what they need. Additionally, working at a young age in high school taught me accountability and how to have a strong work ethic. Combining El Paso’s culture of looking out for your own with the responsibility I learned from working early on has shaped me into a leader who leads by example and truly cares for my sailors.”
Chavez joined the Navy five years ago.
“My reason for joining the Navy was a combination of things,” Chavez said. “First, service runs in my family. Seeing my relatives serve gave me a lot of respect for this path and for following in their footsteps. Second, I wanted to be smart about my future. The benefits, education and structure the military provides are second to none for building a solid foundation. On top of that, I’ve always had a drive to travel, see new places and do something that matters. Joining the military lets me bring all these goals together.”
TOCRON-11 serves as the information center for MPFR missions. Sailors serving at the command are tasked with coordinating, directing and commanding global anti-submarine warfare, intelligence and maritime surveillance operations. The command was established in 2020, and today, more than 150 sailors serve at the specialized squadron.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Chavez has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of being meritoriously advanced from petty officer third class to petty officer second class while deployed aboard USS Dwight D. Eisenhower during Operation Prosperity Guardian,” Chavez said. “During this highly intense combat deployment, I was entrusted with significant leadership responsibilities. Even as a third class, I stepped up to serve as the supervisor for both the Education Services Office and customer service. I worked tirelessly to keep morale high, manage complex administrative tasks and lead my peers under stressful situations. Receiving that promotion was incredibly meaningful to me because it proved my leadership had trust in my capabilities. It also showed me that hard work and stepping up to take care of the crew, even when the pressure is on, pays off.”
Chavez serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“To me, serving in the Navy is about building a solid foundation for who I am both in and out of uniform,” Chavez said. “It is a commitment to continuous self-improvement as I use the structure, discipline and opportunities the Navy provides to constantly better myself. More than that, it’s about purpose. Serving gives me a platform to protect and support the people I love back home while also giving me the tools to mentor and lift up the junior sailors under my charge. The Navy has taught me that personal growth and protecting others go hand in hand. That foundation is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life.”
Chavez is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I wouldn’t be here today without a strong support system,” Chavez added. “I want to thank my parents and partner in crime, Colten, for always being there for me, especially during the high-stress moments of my career. Knowing I can always lean on them keeps me going. I also owe a huge thank you to my mentor, Erik Serrano. He guided me, step-by-step, through our deployment, teaching me how to lead management responsibilities and take care of my crew. Having my family and Colten in my corner, and a great mentor like Erik on the deckplates, has made all the difference in my Navy journey.
“My journey in the Navy has been defined by growth, family and mentorship. Looking back at where I started in El Paso, to where I am now makes me proud. I’ve realized that the Navy is much more than just a career; it’s a community. I am proud to have stood watch for my country, proud of the sailors I lead and incredibly thankful for the family, friends like Colten, and mentors like Erik who have stood by me.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
![]() |
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Jeffrey Militzer |
Chavez graduated from Parkland High School in 2021. Additionally, Chavez is pursuing an associate degree in general studies from the University of Maryland Global Campus and is expected to graduate later this year.
“Growing up, I learned very early on that family is everything, and that family means showing up for one another and helping those who need it,” Chavez said. “I have carried that exact mindset into my Navy career. As a leader with junior sailors looking up to me, I view my division as an extension of my family. My job is to guide them, support them and make sure they have what they need. Additionally, working at a young age in high school taught me accountability and how to have a strong work ethic. Combining El Paso’s culture of looking out for your own with the responsibility I learned from working early on has shaped me into a leader who leads by example and truly cares for my sailors.”
Chavez joined the Navy five years ago.
“My reason for joining the Navy was a combination of things,” Chavez said. “First, service runs in my family. Seeing my relatives serve gave me a lot of respect for this path and for following in their footsteps. Second, I wanted to be smart about my future. The benefits, education and structure the military provides are second to none for building a solid foundation. On top of that, I’ve always had a drive to travel, see new places and do something that matters. Joining the military lets me bring all these goals together.”
TOCRON-11 serves as the information center for MPFR missions. Sailors serving at the command are tasked with coordinating, directing and commanding global anti-submarine warfare, intelligence and maritime surveillance operations. The command was established in 2020, and today, more than 150 sailors serve at the specialized squadron.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Chavez has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of being meritoriously advanced from petty officer third class to petty officer second class while deployed aboard USS Dwight D. Eisenhower during Operation Prosperity Guardian,” Chavez said. “During this highly intense combat deployment, I was entrusted with significant leadership responsibilities. Even as a third class, I stepped up to serve as the supervisor for both the Education Services Office and customer service. I worked tirelessly to keep morale high, manage complex administrative tasks and lead my peers under stressful situations. Receiving that promotion was incredibly meaningful to me because it proved my leadership had trust in my capabilities. It also showed me that hard work and stepping up to take care of the crew, even when the pressure is on, pays off.”
Chavez serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“To me, serving in the Navy is about building a solid foundation for who I am both in and out of uniform,” Chavez said. “It is a commitment to continuous self-improvement as I use the structure, discipline and opportunities the Navy provides to constantly better myself. More than that, it’s about purpose. Serving gives me a platform to protect and support the people I love back home while also giving me the tools to mentor and lift up the junior sailors under my charge. The Navy has taught me that personal growth and protecting others go hand in hand. That foundation is something I will carry with me for the rest of my life.”
Chavez is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I wouldn’t be here today without a strong support system,” Chavez added. “I want to thank my parents and partner in crime, Colten, for always being there for me, especially during the high-stress moments of my career. Knowing I can always lean on them keeps me going. I also owe a huge thank you to my mentor, Erik Serrano. He guided me, step-by-step, through our deployment, teaching me how to lead management responsibilities and take care of my crew. Having my family and Colten in my corner, and a great mentor like Erik on the deckplates, has made all the difference in my Navy journey.
“My journey in the Navy has been defined by growth, family and mentorship. Looking back at where I started in El Paso, to where I am now makes me proud. I’ve realized that the Navy is much more than just a career; it’s a community. I am proud to have stood watch for my country, proud of the sailors I lead and incredibly thankful for the family, friends like Colten, and mentors like Erik who have stood by me.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/
