Thursday, September 24, 2026

Roanoke native serves at Littoral Combat Ship Training Facility Pacific

By Megan Lemly, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Chief Petty Officer (Select) Christopher File, a native of Roanoke, Virginia, serves at Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) Training Facility Pacific.
Photo by
Mass Communication Specialist
Seaman Diamond Kyles

File graduated from Hidden Valley High School in 2011.

File joined the Navy 14 years ago. Today, File serves as a mineman.

“I joined the Navy to continue my family's legacy of service,” File said. "My dad, grandfather and great-grandfather all served in the Navy."

LCS Training Facility Pacific provides high-fidelity, virtual training for Littoral Combat Ship crews. Located in San Diego, it utilizes advanced simulators to prepare Sailors for navigation, combat systems operations and mission-specific engineering tasks.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

File has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“Being a mineman in general is really rewarding,” File said. "I was lucky enough to get mineman even though I didn’t really fully understand the responsibilities of the job. Now that I know what being a mineman entails, I’ve proud to serve as one.”

File serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“I love America more than Garfield loves lasagna,” File said. "I want to preserve the country at its greatest through my service."

File is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my first mentor in the Navy, Charles Alan Jackson II, for showing me my shortfalls and making me realize that I had more potential than I thought,” File added. “I also have to thank Senior Chief Boatswain’s Mate Robert Lewis Brown for being the final catalyst to put me where I'm at. He was tough on me most of my career, but he pulled out the inner strength in me. Lastly, I want to thank my parents. I had a traditional childhood, and I'm grateful for the way they raised me.”