Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Sailor from Ecuador serves with Navy tactical operations squadron

By Chief Mass Communication Specialist Sean Furey, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 1st Class Gema Caroddomejia, from Portoviejo, Ecuador, is one of the sailors supporting Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance Force (MPFR) missions at Tactical Operations Control Squadron (TOCRON-11).
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class  
Jeffrey Militzer

Caroddomejia attended Miguel Iturralde while living in Ecuador. She graduated in 2012 from East Meadow High School in New York, and received an associate degree in liberal arts from Nassau County Community College in 2014.

“I was a lifeguard and swim instructor during high school and college,” Caroddomejia said. “Through those jobs, I learned patience and empathy, and that is now how I carry myself through my naval career.”

Caroddomejia joined the Navy 10 years ago.

“I was in a military private school in Ecuador when I was growing up,” Caroddomejia said. “The military has always been an inspiration. The discipline is what I chase. A friend of mine from high school had a father who served in the Navy. He told me about all the places he was deployed to, and it inspired me.”

TOCRON-11 serves as the information center for MPFR missions. Sailors serving at the command are tasked with coordinating, directing and commanding global anti-submarine warfare, intelligence and maritime surveillance operations. The command was established in 2020, and today, more than 150 sailors serve at the specialized squadron.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Caroddomejia has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of making the rank of petty officer first class in seven years,” Caroddomejia said. “I could have never reached that accomplishment without the mentors I have had in my life.”

Caroddomejia serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means honoring a contract of mutual commitment where the Navy invests in you, and you invest in the Navy,” Caroddomejia said.

Caroddomejia is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my family for always having my back,” Caroddomejia said. “Thank you to my dad, Victor, my mom, Laura, my brother Hugo, my sister-in-law, Lauren, and my grandmother, Nivia. No matter where I am, or what time it is, they are always there.

“I also want to thank all my mentors, Chief Robinson, Chief James, Chief Hill, Chief Thomas, Petty Officer 1st Class Clarr, Petty Officer 1st Class Marmolejos and Petty Officer 1st Class Williams. They always had an ear to listen and the patience to learn about me and teach me how to be a better leader to my sailors and others.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/