SAN DIEGO - Petty Officer 1st Class Wendy Rengifo Garcia, from Lima, Peru, prepares ships for forward-deployed fleet operations while serving at Commander, Naval Surface Group Southwest (CNSGSW).
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Rengifo Garcia graduated from Mariscal Andres Avelino Caceres in 2004. Additionally, Rengifo Garcia earned a bachelor’s degree in administration from San Marin de Porres University in 2011 and will start pursuing a master's in human resources management from American Military University later this year.
“Growing up in Peru taught me the importance of hard work, resiliency, family and making the most of every opportunity,” Rengifo Garcia said. “My experience as an immigrant also taught me that challenges should not define you. I have carried those lessons with me throughout my Navy career by staying persistent, always learning and never being afraid to step out of my comfort zone.”
Rengifo Garcia joined the Navy five years ago.
“My father served in the Army in Peru, and he was one of the people who inspired me to join the military,” Rengifo Garcia said. “I originally wanted to join the Peruvian Army, but my father refused to help me pursue that path. Instead, he encouraged me to focus on my education and helped me earn my degree in administration. Looking back, I understand that he wanted me to have a strong foundation and more opportunities for my future. Years later, after coming to the United States, I decided to pursue my own path in the military by joining the Navy. I was partly inspired by my father’s example, but I was also motivated by my own desire to create a more stable future for my family. Other reasons for me joining were that I wanted a challenge and to be the best version of myself.”
Today, Rengifo Garcia serves as a personnel specialist.
CNSGSW was established on Dec. 14th, 2023, and is the fifth surface group to join the fleet, with the four other locations operating out of Japan, Hawaii, Norfolk and Mayport.
The command is responsible for maintenance and training of the surface ships homeported in San Diego, California. Through preparation and a focus on force generation, sailors at the unit prepare ships for on-time maintenance.
"Our mission is to deliver combat-ready surface forces that are prepared to operate wherever and whenever our nation calls,” said Capt. Russell Caldwell, commanding officer of Commander, Naval Surface Group Southwest. “That readiness starts with our sailors—their professionalism, skill and commitment are what generate lethality and ensure our units are ready on arrival."
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Rengifo Garcia has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“One of the accomplishments I am most proud of is advancing to petty officer first class after serving for less than four years,” Rengifo Garcia said. “I earned this advancement through hard work, studying, taking on additional responsibilities, and consistently challenging myself to become a better sailor and leader. I am especially proud of this accomplishment because English is not my first language, so I had to overcome additional challenges to make it this far. This achievement also showed that my background does not limit what I can achieve.”
Rengifo Garcia serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means much more to me than just wearing a uniform,” Rengifo Garcia said. “It represents sacrifice, growth, opportunity and service to something greater than myself. The Navy has challenged me to become stronger, more disciplined, and a better leader. As an immigrant and a mother, I am very proud that I built a career where I can serve my country while showing my kids what is possible when you believe in yourself.”
Rengifo Garcia is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my mom, Lilly Vasquez, and my dad, Jose Francisco Rengifo Cazña,” Rengifo Garcia added. “My dad set a positive example for me since I was a child with his discipline and determination. I am grateful to my mom as well for helping take care of my children. Of course, I also have to thank my husband, Bernardo Garcia. He is also active duty and takes care of our kids when I am away. Lastly, I want to thank my children because they are my motivation and the reason I am here.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/