SAN DIEGO - Petty Officer 3rd Class Frances Pointdujour, a native of Port St. Lucie, Florida, with Family ties to Brooklyn, New York, serves at Naval Base San Diego, the world’s second-largest naval base.
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Pointdujour graduated from Port St. Lucie High School in 2022.
The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Port St. Lucie.
“Growing up, I learned to stay positive,” Pointdujour said. “Having that positive attitude in the Navy is really helpful. Its ok to have bad days, but you have to have a good mindset to keep going.”
Pointdujour joined the Navy four years ago. Today, Pointdujour serves as a culinary specialist assigned to Naval Base San Diego.
“I joined to help my mother and siblings get their U.S. citizenship,” Pointdujour said.
Naval Base San Diego is comprised of over 1,600 land acres and 326 acres of water along the San Diego Bay. It is homeport to the Pacific Fleet Surface Navy with 60 U.S. Navy ships and two auxiliary vessels, including USNS Mercy. The base is also home to more than 200 tenant commands.
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Pointdujour has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“I am most proud of starting school and working towards a degree in health science at American Military University,” Pointdujour said. “It's hard to start school while you are out to sea, but if you really want it, you are going to find the time to get it done.”
Pointdujour serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means self-growth,” Pointdujour said. “While in the Navy, you get to see a lot and realize a lot about yourself. While you are separated from your family, you build a new family with the sailors you serve with. My service drives me to keep succeeding in life.”
Pointdujour is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my mom, dad, siblings and my best friend,” Pointdujour added. “My mom and dad are always there for me and keep me motivated. When I joined, it was a whole new environment, and I was scared, but without them I might have given up. My siblings make me want to do more so they can have more than I had. My best friend joined the Navy with me; she was my push to keep going and motivated me to give my best. No matter what, I always have her.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/