Friday, September 25, 2026

Montclair native prepares Navy ships for fleet operations

By Chief Yeoman Vicki Sonnenberg, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Chief Petty Officer Brenner Pantoja, a native of Montclair, CA, prepares ships for forward-deployed fleet operations while serving at Commander, Naval Surface Group Southwest (CNSGSW). 
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles

Pantoja graduated from South Sioux City High School in 2008.

“Growing up, my sister and I moved frequently with our single mother, which taught me how to adapt to change and adjust to new environments,” Pantoja said. “We came from a modest background, and those experiences taught me resilience and flexibility. Moving and adapting became familiar to me, which has helped me throughout my Navy career as I have transitioned between commands, duty stations and new challenges.”

Pantoja joined the Navy 16 years ago.

“I wanted to be part of something bigger than myself and have the opportunity to serve as part of a team with a greater purpose,” Pantoja said. “I was the first in my family to join the military. I attended college before joining, but decided it was not the right path for me at the time, and the Navy provided an opportunity to challenge myself and pursue a different direction.

Today, Pantoja serves as a damage controlman.

CNSGSW was established on Dec. 14th, 2023, and is the fifth surface group to join the fleet, with the four other locations operating out of Japan, Hawaii, Norfolk and Mayport.


The command is responsible for maintenance and training of the surface ships homeported in San Diego, California. Through preparation and a focus on force generation, sailors at the unit prepare ships for on-time maintenance


"Our mission is to deliver combat-ready surface forces that are prepared to operate wherever and whenever our nation calls,” said Capt. Russell Caldwell, commanding officer of Commander, Naval Surface Group Southwest. “That readiness starts with our sailors—their professionalism, skill and commitment are what generate lethality and ensure our units are ready on arrival."

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Pantoja has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of making chief petty officer in 2022,” Pantoja said. “When I first joined the Navy, I never expected to serve this long or to one day wear the anchors. I am also especially proud when I see sailors I have mentored and trained succeed, advance, and be promoted. Watching them grow and accomplish their goals is one of the most rewarding parts of being a chief

Pantoja serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means everything to me,” Pantoja said. “Growing up, my path was not always clear, and life was difficult. The opportunity to serve has been life-changing and has given me purpose, direction and opportunities I may not have had otherwise. I am proud of how much I have grown through my service and of the person the Navy has helped me become.”

Pantoja is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I would like to thank my older sister, Donia Martinez, for always being there for me, keeping me on track and being a constant source of support,” Pantoja added. “I would also like to thank my mom, Marlene Walker, for doing everything she could as a single mother to take care of us. She worked long hours to make sure my sister and I had what we needed, and her sacrifices have had a lasting impact on who I am today.”

“I earned my bachelor’s degree in Organizational Leadership from Point Loma Nazarene University in 2024. I plan to continue my education and complete my master’s degree before I retire from the Navy,” Pantoja said. I want to continue developing as a leader and use the knowledge and experience I gain to mentor and support the next generation of sailors.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/