SAN DIEGO - Senior Chief Petty Officer Marchello Roberts, a native of Shreveport, Louisiana, prepares ships for forward-deployed fleet operations while serving at Commander, Naval Surface Group Southwest (CNSGSW).
| Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles |
Roberts graduated from Southwood High School in 2002.
“One of the lessons I learned growing up was the importance of being a hard worker,” Roberts said. “I also learned to treat people with respect because you get more flies with honey. In the Navy, if you work hard and respect people, they will do more for you.”
Roberts joined the Navy 22.5 years ago.
“I joined the Navy because I didn’t have a lot going on at the time,” Roberts said. “I did two semesters and in the third semester, my grades started to fall. I was also working two jobs at the time and needed a change of scenery. I talked to an Air Force recruiter and a Navy one, but the Navy seemed more appealing to me. It was the best decision I made for myself.”
Today, Roberts serves as an aviation boatswain's mate (fuel).
CNSGSW was established on Dec. 14th, 2023, and is the fifth surface group to join the fleet, with the four other locations operating out of Japan, Hawaii, Norfolk and Mayport.
The command is responsible for maintenance and training of the surface ships homeported in San Diego, California. Through preparation and a focus on force generation, sailors at the unit prepare ships for on-time maintenance.
"Our mission is to deliver combat-ready surface forces that are prepared to operate wherever and whenever our nation calls,” said Capt. Russell Caldwell, commanding officer of Commander, Naval Surface Group Southwest. “That readiness starts with our sailors—their professionalism, skill and commitment are what generate lethality and ensure our units are ready on arrival."
With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.
Roberts has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.
“Making chief is my proudest accomplishment because it is the majority of everyone’s goal that enlists in the Navy,” Roberts said. “I deployed in 2013 with the goal of making chief. I said I wasn’t coming back until I made it. It’s a big deal because it put me in a position where I could influence sailors and advocate for their needs.”
Roberts serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.
“Serving in the Navy means being able to help others,” Roberts said. “We sacrifice a lot for this, like time with our families. However, it is worth it to put our lives on the line to ensure our loved ones back home can sleep safely at night.”
Roberts is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.
“I want to thank my mom and sister for being very supportive of me throughout the years,” Roberts added. “My mom actually didn’t believe I was joining the Navy until a month before I left. I want to thank my fiancĂ©, Carla Pratt, as well for helping me stay motivated. Having a good support system is so important because the Navy can be taxing. Lastly, I want to thank all the mentors I’ve had for helping me throughout my career.”
This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/