Friday, September 25, 2026

Sailor from Lima serves at world’s second-largest naval base

By Chief Mass Communication Specialist Sean Furey, Navy Office of Community Outreach

SAN DIEGO - Petty Officer 1st Class Jorge Roggero, originally from Lima, Peru, serves at Naval Base San Diego, the world’s second-largest naval base.
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Diamond Kyles

Roggero graduated from Schurr High School in 2017. Additionally, Roggero is currently working on a bachelor's degree in intelligence studies from American Military University.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Lima.

“Growing up in Peru, I learned to stay out of trouble,” Roggero said. “Once I moved to California, I was a tri-sport athlete, which helped me with discipline and being able to accomplish whatever I set my mind to. All of those lessons have made me successful in the Navy.”

Roggero joined the Navy eight years ago. Today, Roggero serves as an intelligence specialist assigned to Naval Base San Diego.

“I grew up in a single-mom, low-income household,” Roggero said. “I didn’t want to be a financial burden on my family, so I chose to join the Navy.”

Naval Base San Diego is comprised of over 1,600 land acres and 326 acres of water along the San Diego Bay. It is homeport to the Pacific Fleet Surface Navy with 60 U.S. Navy ships and two auxiliary vessels, including USNS Mercy. The base is also home to more than 200 tenant commands.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber-optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Roggero has many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of seeing my sailors develop,” Roggero said. “I was an instructor in my rate; I loved seeing my sailors advance, get recognition and learn new skills. I am also proud of being awarded the Vice Adm. Rufus Taylor awards for excellence in intelligence instruction. Annually, the Navy picks one sailor from the East Coast and one from the West Coast for the award.”

Roggero serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means stability for my family and me,” Roggero said. “It gives me a sense of purpose, community and job satisfaction.”

Roggero is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my mom,” Roggero added. “Through the good and the bad, she is always pushing me to keep going. She always helps me pick myself up and dust myself off.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. More information is available here: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/