Thursday, September 10, 2026

Warwick native serves with the Red Lancers of Navy patrol squadron

By Megan Lemly, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Chief Petty Officer (select) Christopher Devlin, a native of Warwick, New York, serves the U.S. Navy assigned to the Red Lancers of Patrol Squadron 10 (VP-10).
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class  
Jeffrey Militzer


Devlin graduated from Warwick Valley High School in 2009.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Warwick.

“Warwick was a very friendly and happy town,” Devlin said. “That value of community I learned in my childhood is foundational to how I lead the Navy, as I strive to be an approachable leader who keeps morale high.”

Devlin joined the Navy 14 years ago. Today, Devlin serves as an aviation electronics technician.

“I joined the Navy because I wasn’t really doing anything productive at the time,” Devlin said. “I was working part-time jobs, and I wanted to do something more. My grandfather also was in the military, and his service inspired me to go the Navy route.”

VP-10 is one of the original and oldest aviation squadrons in the U.S. Navy. The squadron was originally formed in 1921 as a derivative of VS-15. However, it traces its official heritage to July 1, 1930, with the commissioning of Patrol Bombing Squadron 10S.

Members of VP-10 fly and maintain the U.S. Navy’s P-8A Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft. Designed to secure the U.S. Navy’s future in long-range maritime patrol capability, the P-8A has transformed how the Navy’s maritime patrol and reconnaissance force will train, operate and deploy, according to Navy officials. P-8A aircraft deploy around the globe to monitor the world’s oceans wherever they are needed.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Devlin has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service. Devlin learned earlier this year that he had been selected for one of the Navy’s most significant enlisted milestones: chief petty officer.

Known as the “backbone of the Navy,” chief petty officers are recognized for sustained excellence, leadership and their ability to develop sailors and officers while upholding the high standards essential to the force.

“I am most proud of advancing to chief petty officer because it shows that I put in the work and that I am chosen to be a leader to help junior sailors grow,” Devlin said.

Devlin serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy means contributing to something that is bigger than myself,” Devlin said. “I am happy to protect our country and the people in it.”

Devlin is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I want to thank my family back home for always being there for me,” Devlin added. “I also want to thank my wife, Efhril, and my cat, Pompano, for being my rocks and for keeping me going. I am thankful for Master Chief Barry and Chief Phelps as well for guiding me on my career path to advance to chief petty officer. Lastly, I want to thank Aviation Structural Mechanic Statz for helping get the jobs done that we need and for always being a fun sport about it.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/