Thursday, September 10, 2026

Venice native serves with the Red Lancers of Navy patrol squadron

By Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Rion Codrington, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Seaman Roberto Fierros, a native of Venice, Florida, serves in the U.S. Navy assigned to the Red Lancers of Patrol Squadron 10 (VP-10).
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class  
Jeffrey Militzer


Fierros graduated from Venice High School in 2024.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Venice.

“While Venice is considered a vacation city, it’s also a retirement community, and I got to see a vision of my future,” Fierros said. “That motivated me to create goals, do everything I needed to do to reach them and just find something for myself that I love so that I could be happy for myself when I finally settle down.”

Fierros joined the Navy two years ago. Today, Fierros serves as an aviation electronics technician.

“My dad was in the Navy and my grandfather was in the Army,” Fierros said. “I was in Junior ROTC from sixth to 11th grade and fell in love with the military, but I still had plans to go to college. I wanted to pursue a career as an aviation technician, which would require years of education and qualifications, but I realized I could join the Navy and end up in the same career.”

VP-10 is one of the original and oldest aviation squadrons in the U.S. Navy. The squadron was originally formed in 1921 as a derivative of VS-15. However, it traces its official heritage to July 1, 1930, with the commissioning of Patrol Bombing Squadron 10S.

Members of VP-10 fly and maintain the U.S. Navy’s P-8A Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft. Designed to secure the U.S. Navy’s future in long-range maritime patrol capability, the P-8A has transformed how the Navy’s maritime patrol and reconnaissance force will train, operate and deploy, according to Navy officials. P-8A aircraft deploy around the globe to monitor the world’s oceans wherever they are needed.

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Fierros has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I’m proud of becoming a plane captain,” Fierros said. “We’re responsible for the launching, recovery and safety of the plane. I spent a whole deployment as a plane captain and even got Plane Captain of the Quarter.”

Fierros serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“I’m proud of the fact I have a hand in the force that protects the ones I love,” Fierros said. “Even though I’m not on the front lines, I’m a part of the team and I’m proud to be making a difference for our country.”

Fierros is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“There are a lot of people I want to thank,” Fierros added. “I want to thank my father for being there with me every step of the way. I also want to thank my best friend, Nate, or ‘Gumby,’ for always being the shoulder to lean on from the very beginning. I’m also thankful for Ivy and Iris for being the reason to get up in the morning.”

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/