Wednesday, September 9, 2026

Anaheim native serves with the Red Lancers of Navy patrol squadron

By Chief Mass Communication Specialist Sean Furey, Navy Office of Community Outreach

MAYPORT, Fla. - Petty Officer 2nd Class Mia Castro, a native of Anaheim, California, serves in the U.S. Navy and is assigned to the Red Lancers of Patrol Squadron 10 (VP-10).
Photo by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class  
Jeffrey Militzer


Castro graduated from Katella High School in 2012. Additionally, Castro received an MRI technician certification from CNI College in 2022.

The skills and values needed to succeed in the Navy are similar to those found in Anaheim.

“Growing up in Anaheim, I had to learn to work with many people from different backgrounds and remain patient when facing challenges,” Castro said. “This carries on in my Navy career by helping me stay patient while working well with my shipmates and still pushing myself to improve and grow.”

Castro joined the Navy three years ago. Today, Castro serves as an aircrew survival equipmentman.

“I always wanted to serve in the military because I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself and challenge myself in ways I couldn’t with a typical career,” Castro said. “I chose the Navy because my sister is a chief petty officer and her dedication and success inspired me.”

VP-10 is one of the original and oldest aviation squadrons in the U.S. Navy. The squadron was originally formed in 1921 as a derivative of VS-15. However, it traces its official heritage to July 1, 1930, with the commissioning of Patrol Bombing Squadron 10S.

Members of VP-10 fly and maintain the U.S. Navy’s P-8A Poseidon multi-mission maritime aircraft. Designed to secure the U.S. Navy’s future in long-range maritime patrol capability, the P-8A has transformed how the Navy’s maritime patrol and reconnaissance force will train, operate and deploy, according to Navy officials. P-8A aircraft deploy around the globe to monitor the world’s oceans wherever they are needed.

“The men and women of Patrol Squadron TEN are the driving force behind the Red Lancers’ combat readiness and tactical excellence,” said Cmdr. Jason Coons, commanding officer of VP-10. “By relentlessly honing their craft in anti-submarine warfare and P-8A overwatch, they ensure our national interests are protected every single day.”

With 90% of global commerce traveling by sea and access to the internet relying on the security of undersea fiber optic cables, Navy officials continue to emphasize that the prosperity of the United States is directly linked to recruiting and retaining talented people from across the rich fabric of America.

Castro has had many opportunities to achieve accomplishments during military service.

“I am most proud of being selected as Blue Jacket of the Quarter at VP-10 within my first year at the command,” Castro said. “I earned this recognition by consistently volunteering to help with command events, set-ups and any tasks that need to be accomplished. I enjoy helping others and contributing wherever I can, and this award reflected my commitment to teamwork, initiative and supporting the mission. Receiving this so early in my career reinforced the value of hard work, dedication and always being willing to step up when needed.”

Castro serves a Navy that operates far forward, around the world and around the clock, promoting the nation’s prosperity and security.

“Serving in the Navy is an opportunity to make a positive impact on others while serving my country with honor, courage and commitment,” Castro said.

Castro is grateful to others for helping make a Navy career possible.

“I would like to thank my sister for always being there for me whenever I needed her,” Castro added. “Her constant support, guidance and encouragement have had a tremendous impact on my life and Navy career. I also want to thank my leadership in my shop, Chief Petty Officer Leavell and Petty Officer 1st Class Lawson, for guiding me in the right direction and pushing me to be qualified.”

Castro has big plans for her future education.

“My current goal is to go back to school to get a degree in optometry and hopefully be an optometrist by the time my contract is over,” Castro said.

This year, the Navy is commemorating its contribution to the nation’s defense as the United States celebrates 250 years of independence. According to Navy officials, for more than 250 years, the Navy has sailed the globe defending freedom and protecting prosperity. For more information, visit: https://www.navy.mil/navy-250/